Red algae problem

MacheteLopez

Non-member
I have had red algae growing in my tank, does anyone know an easy way to get rid of this? I can't upload the pictures they are too big will email it to you if you would like to see

I had an out break of red algae in my tanks.

Disclaimer: I rarely test my tanks. I do 15-20% water change once-twice per month, kalk in my top off, set and forget. It has been working for me for the last 3 years, so im continuing to do it. If you asked what my nitrate/phos/alk/ph levels are, i have no idea. I just use my eye to tell if something is off.

Having said that, last year my husbandry slipped and developed red slime algae. I used air hose to vacuum it up every night and did small water change to replenish the water I vacuumed out. Then on the weekend, I would do a 10-15% water change. After about 3-4 weeks, I stopped vacuuming every night. after about 6 weeks, I went back to my normal water change schedule.

hope this helps.

I tend to get an outbreak when my lights are wearing out. Maybe your bulbs need to be replaced. I also do what Intheflesh suggested, just keep vacuuming and and doing water changes.

Back