Red bugs

Is passing on red bug infested frags acceptable

• yes i think its acceptable

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • no its unacceptable

Votes: 97 79.5%

• Total voters
In the original thread created by dustin. I will see if i can find it, its rather old.

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

Liam from what i understand they are livebearers, not egglayers. I do not believe there is a planktonic stage...If you would like I can get you more info.....that was a misconception when people were first learning about this pest that it may lay eggs.

thanks, yes i would love to see the information,do you have a link?

thanks, yes i would love to see the information,do you have a link?

still looking, it was an article that was more detailed than most and was experimenting with betadine, levamisole, interceptor and even peroxide IIRC ( which killed the frags )

I didn't get more yet Brian, but will be getting a full pack from the vet.. something shows up almost every day and needs dipped it seems like.

In the original thread created by dustin. I will see if i can find it, its rather old.

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

I read through the post you linked a couple times and didn't see any mention of the drugs stability in saltwater or its metabolism in crusteacans. Did I miss it?

I would just be careful of dosing higher doses and putting them much closer together with no water changes. You could result in an increase of the drugs concentration in the water which may have an adverse effect on other life in the tank. I just think this warning should be there if the data isn't.

There was a study done by some scientist, I'm still trying to find it via google but no luck, actually stumbled on it over a year ago by accident looking for dustins original thread.

It went on to prove Iodine/betadine had no effect on redbugs and killed frags when administering higher doses.

Levamisole had no effect on redbugs and killed frags.

Peroxide had no effect on redbugs and killed frags.

Interceptor had about an 80% kill rate and the survivors made almost a full recovery in roughly 24 hours....

Also here's a clip from dustins thread.
The frequency of the treatments has yet to be fully determined. Some of the volunteers in the testing did the first two treatments 7 days apart with the 3rd treatment 14 days after the second. Some did 3 treatments 7 days apart. Personally, I have been doing 2 treatments 24 hours apart every 7 days. I will repeat this 4 times for a total of 8 treatments.

Here's a quote from my own post adressing your concerns of a warning.
I'm willing to help you attempt to erradicate them if your willing to take the risk. I personally broke from the "routine" or method that most use to complete my erradication and it worked. I did lose inverts, I did not lose fish or corals. I will not gurantee that you wont lose fish or corals but if your willing to give it the go one more time I'll help.

Last edited:
i read it wrong...like an idiot.... i vote no.... so take one from yes and add it to no. if your gonna sell you have to disclose to the buyer

Interceptor had about an 80% kill rate and the survivors made almost a full recovery in roughly 24 hours....

That could just mean the LD80 for red bugs is somewhere around the dosage commonly used. Doesn't mean the drug degrades, or is unstable in saltwater. My point was just that without this info, even if doses closer together have no further impact on the bugs the drugs concentration in the water may still be increasing. Tough to tell without a ton more info. Would love to see the info you were mentioning if you find it.

That could just mean the LD80 for red bugs is somewhere around the dosage commonly used. Doesn't mean the drug degrades, or is unstable in saltwater. My point was just that without this info, even if doses closer together have no further impact on the bugs the drugs concentration in the water may still be increasing. Tough to tell without a ton more info. Would love to see the info you were mentioning if you find it.

Well to support your concerns I will say that It appeared that my systems capacity to handle a decent bioload degraded after treating, unfortunately I don't/didn't have the means to do more controlled testing.

Prior to the treatment my nitrates were holding around 10ppm, shortly after the treatment they rose to 80ppm and held there till I got rid of a fish and added macro algae. I was able to get them consistently down to 50ppm however nothing lower than that. I broke down a few months later.

This is why I run a QT tank now so that I can be absolutely sure I do not have to do a full tank treatment.

Last edited:
good luck bro....FWIW....coral crabs can actually live in a 10 gal tank with just an airstone for about three weeks.....If you have any & can get them out of the tank......;)

My vote would be somewhere in between. I have a 3 tank system for safety, they go from my 52 QT to the 120 to the 210 over 4 to 6 months.

If the seller knows the frag is going to someone who is good about dips and QT and gives fair notice, I see no problem; conversely, if it's going to a dip and display , well......

BTW, did anyone check out extremec..rals selling maidens hair algae for 40 beans??

NO! it is NOT okay to have red bug and trade among other reefers.

Bump. I just thought given the meeting coming up and the amount of coral getting exchanged I figured I would bump and increase awareness.

As always people should be using effective dipping methods when purchasing coral from anyone especially your LFS.

I put unacceptable, based on if it wasn't disclosed.

I, personally would have no clue what to do if they got into my tank. I don't know the signs/symptoms, not the foggiest of what they even look like.

I put a lot of time and effort trying to educate myself on how to be successful at a marine tank. In my opinion, I am responsible for the lives of the critters in that tank. So I read, and waited, and researched more...

But there is some stuff you just won't find in the books for newbie aquarists. There are only so many photos, so many descriptions that can be crammed into a book. And without hearing about it, even internet search won't help.

I find myself Google-ing at least one topic, or abbreviation, or term used here, per day. There is just so much to know, that to do it in a shor time is impossible.

So, to sum it all up, I think it's pretty rotten if you don't let someone know you're giving them something that could harm what's in their tank.

IIRC / FWIW,

this thread originated more or less in response to a well known and respected BRS member who was living with red bugs and was pretty clear about disclosing that they had them.

IMO ethically a person is obligated to disclose if they have a transmittable problem. If a person is dealing with such a problem and discloses it openly, then it's on the buyer if they will or will not trade/ buy / be informed and choose to / take that risk.

I've treated with Red Bugs 3 separate times... The 3rd time was by the book (the original school of thought of 3 treatments over 7 day intervals).

My first treatment was a large medication overdose, followed by a 100% water change. I dosed a 33gal tank and transferred all of my inhabitants into a 75gal tank that I was upgrading to. I figured since the new water was unmedicated, it would be fine.... NOPE. I put crabs and shrimp into the new tank with the livestock from the treated tank and I STILL had crab die-off. Thus indicating that the medication leaches from the rock/etc. even when not in medicated water... Result: Red Bugs came back :(

My second attempt was a large overdose, but I let the dose dwell for well over the 12 hour period... I then waited two weeks and treated again, with a dwell time of close to 24 hours. Result: Red Bugs came back :(

My third attempt was pretty much to the books. I dosed every Monday for three weeks. I let the medication sit for over 12 hours in the tank before doing the water change and carbon. Everything ran (skimmer without air). I'm hoping this will do the trick, but I will certainly report if they come back.

If they come back, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I can't keep buying interceptor and hoping it's going to erradicate them if it isn't. I can't keep buying crabs and then having to take them out or return them each time I treat.

Back