Red Sea Coral Pro salt question

mvallee

Non-member
They say only mix RSCP for .5 to 2 hours until you have the desired salinity and the water is clear. Can the salt sit mixed (pumps off) and heated for 12 hours or more.

I ask because yesterday I was preparing to do a water change on my QT, I had the water mixed added my heater and was just about up to temp for the water change when company came popped over. I figure I should be able to leave it overnight with just the heater as they say the calcium precipitates when you stir too long and I assumed becomes cloudy

How cloudy is cloudy, does the cloudiness go away? I did the water change, 8 gallons in my 20 gallon tank and now that all the sand and such has settled i can see how cloudy it is..

The fish seem fine, the two blue star leopards seem unaffected from what I can see of them and the cardinals seem fine.

I ask because I bought this unopened bucket of salt from a fellow reefer and used maybe 1/3rd my old salt 2/3rd new salt, seemed fine although there was a small crust on the surface that broke apart when I scooped it. After I was done and got to thinking never had this happen before and could it possibly be a bad batch of salt??

appreciate any input, also was thinking about putting together a mixing station with two 55 gallon drums, so this question also pertains to that as I would like to know how long it can sit in the barrel.
thanks and what a great day for tank clean up :)

I use the same salt and often leave it heated with the mixing pump on for a couple of days or more. Unless I'm missing something it's the same conditions it would see in your tank.

Jim

I use the same salt and often leave it heated with the mixing pump on for a couple of days or more. Unless I'm missing something it's the same conditions it would see in your tank.

Jim

I got these instruction from the web, I usually buy the bulk bags from Tropic Isle hence the need for instructions.

Mixing Instructions:
1. Use RO water that is at ambient in the UK a temperature of approximately 20OC/68OF is optimum .
2. Accurately weight the salt and measure the volume of water according to the salinity you wish to achieve.
3. Pour the salt gradually into the water. Do not pour water onto the salt.
4. Mix vigorously (without aeration) for approximately 0.5 - 2 hours, until all of the salt is dissolved and pH has stabilized to 8.2 – 8.4” - DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours.
5. When mixed, raise the temperature and add to the aquarium. (Not absolutely necessary for a small water change)

I also read this in the same article
The raw materials used in the latest formula of Coral Pro dissolve much quicker than in the past and even if the seawater is not to be used immediately, it should not be mixed for much longer than required to dissolve the salt. In fact Coral Pro salt has gone from being one of the slowest salts to dissolve, to one of the fastest, particularly when taking into account the levels of the foundation elements for the accelerated growth of SPS corals.

I guess I need to see if there is a date on the bucket, maybe it is an older version of the salt.
Thanks for chiming in

I also use the same salt and sometime mix it over night in 5 gallon buckets and no heater. Haven't had any issues. I would think that the water is fine to use and the cloudiness will dissipate in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my change water in a 55g drum which I fill and keep salinity correct, I only change out about 20-30 gallons at a time so the water stays for months and months, but I am constantly add and take away water. Never had any I'll affects

Thanks all!
good to know, my water is still cloudy but is clearing up slowly.

So those that keep water for longer periods are you using RSCP also? do you keep some type of circulation running the whole time? are you concerned with Calcium Precip like the directions mention?

I realize the directions are not yours but how could circulation running in a mix tank be any different than in your aquarium? If this salt truly can't be heated and circulated they have a problem.

Jim

I realize the directions are not yours but how could circulation running in a mix tank be any different than in your aquarium? If this salt truly can't be heated and circulated they have a problem.

Jim

yeah I get the point I am guessing the agitation in a bucket is more than in a tank??? seems counterintuitive to me too.

I keep a mag 3 in the bottom of my barel so it's always circulating, I only heat it the day I'm gonna do a change

Back