Red Sea coral pro vs reef crystals

So I've been debating on which salt to use I've used reef crystals for a while with okay success but I hear Red Sea is a better salt and corals grow better any one have any insight on this

I always used Red Sea Coral Pro, but recently I got a really good deal on some Reef Crystals and I have been using that for a couple of months. I will be going back to Red Sea Coral Pro. I feel like my corals seem happier with the Coral Pro. (may be my imagination, but I will be going back)

I hated the Red Sea salt I used 3 buckets a while back. The levels are way too elevated and if you don't mix it how they say the calcium precipitates out and it's cloudy.

hmmm, I used up the bucket of Red sea coral pro from you, it was fine, no precipitates.

I used Coral pro in my past tank with much success. Reef crystals were used to get my most recent tank going and after using up the two boxes i had started with I switched back to red sea. I'm happier with it, because my corals look better (color and growth). I don't have any issues mixing either. Typically Ill mix 5 gallons at a time, bringing it up to temp and adding salt in two (slowly poured) additions. About two hours from start to ready for water change.

Last edited:
I think rotating them is a good idea. If one is a little low on something, the other should make up for it. If one is too high in something, the other will dilute it out.

I had an isssue w/ red sea pro salt about 2 years ago that the alkalinity was way low after mixing, lime 5-6 dkh. This was doing small batches. I learned to mix the salt within the tub prior to mixing into the water. Switched to reef crystals shortly after with no issues. Have 1st bucket of red sea again due to good price. Can't say I notice any difference with corals between the two (but my wife also accuses me of not being very perceptive).

hmmm, I used up the bucket of Red sea coral pro from you, it was fine, no precipitates.

i know it is often fine dong. it occurs from time to time. and i like to fill a tub with water dump the salt and let a pump mix it and a heater heat it and walk away for sometimes a day or so. this is exactly what the red sea people say not to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIHJ02NaKk

it happens because of the elevated levels in the salt. im not saying its not going to work but i think its overpriced and not worth the extra money.

I tried Redsea coral pro a couple years ago ang never got it to mix right. It would just be a milky mess. I went through 2 bucket and gave up on it. Went back to instant ocean.

I rotate like Dong. Red Sea, Reef Crystals, and Tropic Marin. Tropic Marin mixes the best and feels the cleanest (if you stick you hand in it and rub your fingers together it feels very clean, it is kind of hard to describe.) but is usually more expensive, Reef Crystals is a good price for big water changes. I can't tell if any one of them makes my corals brighter.

Majority of reefcentral tanks of the month use reefcrystals. nuff said.

this is hardly enough said....that tells us nothing of their husbandry or setup...that is what makes them TOTM...not the brand salt they use.

And obviously both salts will work fine...they have been used on beautiful reef tanks for many years with great success

I have used both salts for extended periods of time, and would have to choose Red Sea Coral Pro hands down over Reef Crystals. RS mixes way quicker, clearer, and with much better levels. RS uses dehydrated natural Seawater as the base chloride for their salt mix...Instant Ocean uses a bunch of chemicals (and you can tell instantly when you pour out the salt mix....RC will kill you if you inhale that cloud...lol)
But at the end of the day, the tanks I have used RS on have much better color, growth, polyps extension and less algae issues, than ones I have run RC on.

I do like Tropic Marin a lot...I just can not justify the price...when I have gotten better results from RS.
And for the small difference in price between RS and RC...I feel our customers are getting a much better product in the Red Sea....(and there are better margins on the RC than the RS, so I see why vendors would rather sell the Reef Crystals to make more money)

Now on the flip side, the RS can be tough to acquire sometimes....like right now...lol our distributor is out of RS pro...and I had 6 bags and 12 buckets on order to arrive today....and NONE showed up...(this puts us in some serious trouble) but I am pretty sure it is the distributors fault not Red Sea

I too use Red Sea. The elevated levels helps so I don't have to dose 2 part so much. I too love Tropic Marin but it's a little too pricey.

B, do you guys still deal with that H2Ocean salt anymore? Never tried it myself but remember hearing positive feedback about it a couple years back; is it even available still?

We do not carry the H2Ocean, because it is pretty much the same as the Red Sea, but much more expensive. It is made in the same factory, then sent to the respective companies to put there final touch and label on the bucket. Currently, since sunlight supply closed, I do not know of any distributors for this salt.

I notice that the latest batch of reef crystal I bought has finer grain and dissolve very fast, much faster than Red Sea.

Back