Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC+

Platehead

Non-member
Has anyone had any experience with this product. Guy at the LFS recommended it to supliment calcium, mag, etc. I put 50 grams of this product in 1/2 liter of water, mixed well and put a couple of hundred ml in my tank. The water used to be very clear. It is now milky colored.

thx

Might be normal. I use Purple tech calcium supp and mine gets milky for about an hour or two and goes away.

What was the parameters before you dosed this stuff?
I've never heard of any product that has alk and calcium in the same bottle.

Might be normal.

no elemental additives are supposed to make your water cloudy unless perhaps one adds far to much...

to the OP, you really should have come here and asked around, or other forums like RC, before jus mixing up some stuff and dumping in your tank blindly as that is something you should NEVER do...

are the A, B, C+ all from separate bottles? like Bob, i too have never heard of calcium and alk coming from the same bottle...

Do you mean you mixed all 3 parts in one half liter of water? If so, that's the problem. Any 2/3 part additive needs to be added as 2/3 seperate parts or everything starts to precipitate and fall out of solution (sorry for the chemistry dumb explanation, but I am chemistry dumb...)

The Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC+ is a powder that does not contain ALK. There are 3 separate liquids A, B, and C that have ALK, Calc, and Mag separately. If you mixed the liquids together, that is your problem. If you added too much of the ABC+ for the amount of Alk in your water or Ph, that is the problem. I have used the stuff and this is not an issue when used properly.

no elemental additives are supposed to make your water cloudy unless perhaps one adds far to much...

I just followed the directions on the Kent bottle. Shake well and add 5-10ml per 50 or 55 gal. Still causes cloudiness...even says it on the bottle. I dunno...it was just my two sense.

I just followed the directions on the Kent bottle. Shake well and add 5-10ml per 50 or 55 gal. Still causes cloudiness...even says it on the bottle. I dunno...it was just my two sense.

No worries ;)

Jus doesnt seem like it would be a good product if it makes your water cloudy, jmo...

TM Bio calcium is a one step additive. It does add calcium and alk in one step but does not make the water cloudy.
The balling salts I use are a 3 part additive. The calcium does make the water milky for a bit if manually dosed. I noticed that the powder mixes cloudy and a clear liquid forms with a settling on the bottom of my dosing container .I find this weird since most 2 part additives make the water cloudy when the alk is added. It is brief but it does happen.
The calcium is called calcium plus . It has trace elements and minerals in it from a sea salt mix.
Let's not forget that kalkwasser is a one step additive that adds calcium and alk at the same time too.

Sen t from my Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Red Sea Reef Foundation ABC+ is a single powder, i.e. 1 container. I looked at the tank this AM and it was clear. I will recheck all parameters this evening and repost. I am thinking of returning this stuff to the LFS and get my $$ back.

thx

This is for maintaining cal, mag and alk levels. It should never be used to raise cal, alk or mag alone. It's like Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium. You still have to check your levels weekly or bi-weekly and adjust with individual additives but probably not that much. I hope Red Sea is not marketing this product as single solution for dosing a reef tank like Tropic Marin did with Bio-Calcium. I used Bio-Calcium in the 90s with get results but you still have a test and tweak. Here's the decription from Read Sea's website.

Reef Foundation ABC+: Contains Calcium, Strontium, Barium, Bicarbonates, Magnesium, Potassium, Boron, Iodine, and Bromine formulated according to the exact ratio found in the coral skeleton. This unique powder supplement simplifies the daily dosing of more than just the foundation elements, and is recommended for aquariums of up to about 300 liters / 75gallons.

Attachments

• FoundationCompletepowder.jpg
    FoundationCompletepowder.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,592
I measured my parameters tonight.

Calcium - 380
Nitrate - 0
KH 161ppm
Phospates 0.25

The reason that I am concerned and bought the Reef foundation is that my Acans aren't out as much as they used to be. Everything else in the tank is doing great.

thx

Back