red slime alage is like cement

drgmeh

Non-member
Has anybody had red algae like this? it looks like red slime but it is not slimey at all, it is very much attached to the rocks and wont just come off with a toothbrush. To get any of it off I have to scrape it. I tried chemi clean, no results in 48 hours so im doing my water change and trying a 2end tme

Sounds to me like coralline algae,
Don't take it off...it's a friend. Especially in a red color. :)

Does anybody have a picture of this? It is dark red. It is on the power heads too. Its all over the tank, some of it was slimey but just a little, 99% of it is hard and will scrub off with a ton of scrubbing or scraping. I have never heard of good red algae before. I thought only the purple is the good kind.

Last edited:
Coralline algae occurs in all kinds of colors. In our tanks it is predominantly purple, but often red, maroon, orange and green.
Enjoy it and save yourself some scrubbing / scraping :)

Coralline algae occurs in all kinds of colors. In our tanks it is predominantly purple, but often red, maroon, orange and green.
Enjoy it and save yourself some scrubbing / scraping :)

+1 the only time its a problem is when its on your front glass.

You tried chemi clean and a water change on coralline?lol
You wouldn't believe how many hobbyest would love to have that stuff grow in their tanks,Personally,I think it's nothing but more work.

I'll bet it's that dark red because of your lighting.
My coralline is more of a light purple.

Last edited:
there are different types/colors of coralline... I have this on my rocks along with green and purple. very normal and nothing to worry about!

Back