Red slime on sand can't shake it ahh

Mattd7

Non-member
Hi guys,
I have been battling some red slime on my sand bed and allitle on my rocks can't seem to shake it. I upgraded my tank back in July to a 92 corner from a 75 4'. I used most of the old water added new live sand and seeded with some cups of my old sand. I have a 25 gallon sump 700 Gph return pump and a 15 gallon refugium. My water parameters are as follows amn 0,nitrate 0, phosp .25, ph8.4, I used Red Sea coral pro and rodi water. The 3 corners of the tank seen to have the issue I'm thinking I have a flow issue I have 3 korialla power heads 2 750 and one 1400 I run on a timer I have tried a bunch off reposition nothing works I'm thinking about a mp40. Any thoughts would help I don't want this out our control thanks in advance

I had the same problem last month. Dong advised chemiclean and it worked great. 3 days later and some siphoning of the bed during the big water change and its been gone since. Whenever your skimmer kicks on after you treat though it will go crazy. I had to keep mine cut way back for 3 days afterwards

Whenever I have had Cyanobacteria I have used Erythromycin powder. Dose for three days and then do a 25% WC and it has always gotten rid of it. I have never had a single issue with side effects on any of my systems from it. This will also make your skimmer run very wet and it cannot be used during the treatment period. I find it interesting that even though ChemiClean claims to not contain EM it has the exact same effect on the water as the EM powder that contains only EM. Whatever you use you need to keep in mind that it will only fix the symptom and not the cause. While many people suggest it is a matter of poor flow I have not found that to be the issue in my tanks. For me, it has always been a case of too much nutrient and not enough consumption. That is why it is so common in newly set up systems, you just don't have enough flora/fauna to consume the amount of nutrient in there so the Cyanobacteria take advantage. Limiting the amount of nutrient you are putting into the tank will help prevent a recurrence.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it I was trying to resolve without chemicals will this bacteria run its course or must I treat it ? Thanks again

I had this issue almost all summer. Tried chemiclean, 3 days lights out, H2O2 dosing, even all at same time. These would always work for a few days but perhaps a week after finishing the treatment, it would be back. Eventually what worked is getting phosphates under control with phosphate reactor.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

you phosphates are high. use gfo and it will quickly go away as the p04 drops. get it .08ppm or lower. your corals will be happier with that too. high p04 slows calcification.

Thanks I'm I just started running some chemipure elite a few weeks ago should I run the gfo with that ?

Not saying that it may be the cause but I had the same issue with red slime while using the red sea coral pro salt. I went from instant ocean to red sea and the slime started. I have since switched to reef crystals and the problem has gone away.

As long as you have food for it the cyano will return. Lowering your nutrient, either through water changes or chemical filtration (gfo for phosphate) will help to prevent it from coming back.

I had this issue almost all summer. Tried chemiclean, 3 days lights out, H2O2 dosing, even all at same time. These would always work for a few days but perhaps a week after finishing the treatment, it would be back. Eventually what worked is getting phosphates under control with phosphate reactor.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

you phosphates are high. use gfo and it will quickly go away as the p04 drops. get it .08ppm or lower. your corals will be happier with that too. high p04 slows calcification.

One word about removing nutrients from your tank water.

"Do it slowly"

Anything used to remove nutrients too fast will crash your tank. Use caution when strippping ur tank of anything... Even taking bad things like Phosphate and Nitrates out too fast will harm your corals.

Hope this helps...

Higor

Thanks everyone for all the input I really appreciate it lucky right now I am pretty much folr tank I have 3 small leather corals at the moment

Like Chemiclean, lots of people report success with Dr. Tim's "Refresh" product. I used it and it worked well.

how old is your tank and what is your maintenance schedule?

You have measured phosphates even with the up take from the cyano, so this is a nutrient issue. But that may also be a tank age issue as well

Using chemicals can set back you tank so avoiding this especially if you tank isn't fully mature meaning less than a 1-1/2yrs old. While they work they are temporary to buy time to fix the issue at hand if it is causing damage to your livestock.

how old is your tank and what is your maintenance schedule?

You have measured phosphates even with the up take from the cyano, so this is a nutrient issue. But that may also be a tank age issue as well

Using chemicals can set back you tank so avoiding this especially if you tank isn't fully mature meaning less than a 1-1/2yrs old. While they work they are temporary to buy time to fix the issue at hand if it is causing damage to your livestock.

Phosphate I have been measuring with API and I know know that kit will not accurately test for phospate. My tank was a July upgrade from a 75g I know have a 92 the sand bed was mostly new but I did use some of my old sand to seed it the live rock was all from my established tank of 2 years. I do 10 gal water changes weekly or at worst every other week I am currently get a phostate meter and thinking about going with a mp40 to help with some better flow. I really do not want to use chemicals to treat this i have added a couple bags of chemi pure to help anyone have experience with Red Sea no3 po4x?

Thanks again for all the advise

Might want to try dripping kalkwasser at night. According to Randy it will cause phosphates to precipitate out of the tank water. Oh, and it'll help you maintain your calcium and carbonate levels.

you are probably just going through part of the normal tank cycle from the upgrade. I would just step up maintenance 25%/25gal water changes and make sure the flow in tank is about as high as you can get it with out blowing things around. make sure your skimmer in in optimal working condition as well.

Last edited:
Erythromycin is a prescription antibiotic. It will kill off the beneficial bacteria too.

Back