Red stuff growing in my refugium macro

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Is this normal
confused.gif

If it's slimy, it's cyano. If it's thread-like, and kind of cotton candy-ish, it's not cyano. It's a form of red hair algae, but I forgot the scientific name after a fat sea hare ate it up and my problem was solved. Actually my chaeto is still infected, but the rest of my 150 gallon fuge is clean.

Its slimy :(

I thinned out the macro and got rid of most of the red stuff.Also I added a old maxijet 400 that I had hanging around to increase flow in the tank a bit.

Thanks everybody

I dont think its cyano...its red hair algae...just very immature state...thin it out till its gone...i eliminated mine 100% by starving it of light for 2 days...I thought I saw it when I was over there last, but wasn't sure...it tends to stay in fuges...but it will choke corals ... If you want to take all yours macro out and get some that is 100% free of it...let me know...ive been working at that for the past few weeks and there is none in my macro currently....

let me know..

thats red hair algae...pull it ill get you some new macro that is 100% *discaimer 100% in this hobby is never equal to 100%* free of that stuff.

You can try to weed through it but I have so much now that doesnt have any why bother.

yup thats another point...i will give you some of those as well since you got that stuf from me...i just ordered 15 of the snails...you can have several...no cost...

im trying to be careful about that now nate...

anyone know what this comes back up...if I run my light 65w lights of america fixture...why is this stuff growing... its gone now..like i said turned off the lights but for 1 hr a day...

so did i just get it in on other macro...or am i producing it...

anyidea of what to try nate?

I doubt you spontaneously generated it Casey. ;) It sounds to me like it's getting around in donated macroalgae. Sounds like Chuck licked it with turbos. I'd probably toss my macro before it spread to the display, since macro is so easy to replace.

YUP...well after the tank of death...im Paranoid. with the way things where for a while I think I could spontaneously generate a mantis.

Nate is correct....I would remove all of the chaeto and then replace it.
I did that AND added the Turbos to clean of the sides, front and the small amount
of rock in my Fuge.

You REAALLLY do not want this stuff to spread into your main tank....I caught it just in time although I do have some in my main tank. The problem in the main tank is that the stuff tends to grow in shady areas in in between coral branches where the Turbos do not fit ! So I also had to add teeny tiny blue leg hermits in hopes that they will help get the constricted areas. I also brush it off with a Baby Bottle Brush and remove it physically when I can...but it is quite tedious.

I got mine, as Nate stated, by taking some donated chaeto at one of the frag swaps.

Spontaneous Generation

This is theoretically possible in quantum pysics and according to the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle although highly improbable, well not really :rolleyes: ......unless of course you have an Infinite Improbability Drive :p

clamm said:
YUP...well after the tank of death...im Paranoid. with the way things where for a while I think I could spontaneously generate a mantis.

Back