Red stuff growing in my refugium macro

NateHanson said:
I've also got tons of macro if you want it. I've never had the red hair algae, so maybe I can be 100% sure? ;)
Ok, I totally jinxed myself. :rolleyes: Looked in my fuge, and . . . yep. I guess I got some of this a couple months ago myself when I got a macro donation to fill out my new larger fuge. Just should have let my own stuff fill in. :mad:

Anyways, is this stuff similar to green hair in that you mostly just need to control your nutrients, and it'll won't spread if you keep the tank conditions good? Right now I've got numerous very small wifts of it in my macro ball.

Nate

Nate...like i said, my water quality is good...it seems to only turn on in my fuge...so I just turned of the lights for 2 days...and no more algae... the macro in there seems fine.

I've had this stuff in my sump off and on for a long time. The tubos eat it fast. I added a powerhead to the fuge and it stopped showing up there. It's just in my baffles now, where the turbo's cant reach. When I do water changes (from the sump), I scrape it down and siphon out with the water change.

D

Nope... never made it into the display. Just the slow areas in the sump and fuge. When I put in the 404 in the fuge, and thinned the macro, it stopped growing there. The turbo makes a meal of it in the skimmer/overflow area, but can't get in between my skinny baffles. That's the only place where I find it now.

My yellow tang loves it though. I've hand fed it to him before when he was in the hospital tank clearing himself of some internal parasite. He loved it!

D

Back