Reducing calcium deposit on return pump

David

Non-member
I am using the Bulk Reef Supply two part additive, I add 50mls a day for my 55 gal. tank. I have a small sump (10 gal) and add the additives slowly at the skimmer output. My return pump is an in-sump Quiet One 3000.
Would setting up some sort of drip system reduce the amount of deposit I am getting on my return pump?
I also drip kalk with my auto top-off using an aqua lifter.

How much SPS do you have?
I find that just topping off with an auto top-off system with kalkwasser is all I need.
I maybe only dose 2 part once a week and sometimes not at all as all level remain steady.
What is your calcium level?

I only have a couple of SPS (orange cap and small frag of something else can't remember name) about 7 colonies of LPS. Right now my calcium is at 400ppm, I have had it checked by BRS a couple of times and my readings have been close to BRS, although i haven't had it checked in a while.

50 ml of 2 part daily with kalk top-off seem excessive to me.
I have a HUGE orange cap,acros,pink and green bird nest,pipeorgan,frogspawn,candy cane and just the top off with weekly corrections is enough.

I went to 50 mls daily just recently because I wasn't getting much evaporation, I was dosing 30mls daily. I see from your set-up description that you have a large system so you must get a lot of evaporation. Between my sump and fuge I only have about 15 gal outside the display.

Back