Reef Central Database Destroyed

The writing has been on the wall for awhile. Not surprised by a crash of this magnitude. Sorry to see it go though. There was a lot of valuable content on that site.

As any IT guy knows, if they were following any modicum of system hygiene it would be nearly impossible to wipeout their active database AND all their backups. How could that possibly happen other than a fire that physically destroyed everything? They weren't using any redundancy (RAID) storage? Something just seems so weird about that.

When I just attempted to access their site they have changed the load page and it is saying they will be back online shortly. Different message than earlier today.

For anyone who is interested in knowing, thanks to last years' BoD making an investment in technology for the club, this club has backups that run hourly on our current server, and we can bring up a virtual copy of the entire BRS forum server in a matter of hours.

That's for a club of this size, with our much-more-limited resources...not something as big as RC. I'm saddened if this is true; this is a simply awful loss for the hobby.

EDIT: Their homepage reads VBulletin 2.2.9 forum software, which is ancient. I wonder if running a really old VB instance has anything to do with this....

Last edited:
Oh, I am sure there is a lot more to this story and I have my theories but this isn't the place for me to speculate so I will behave. :p

I have my suspicions too..

1168705855-motivator315593.jpg

Another update from an RC Admin member “mhurely” who says:

First, I would like to apologize to all of our members, sponsors and even our staff. We had a breach in our security systems, allowing easy access [by a hacker] to our very important files and database. Most of these items were either corrupted or completely deleted. We made the mistake of placing our back ups on the same server as which we operated the site on (yes, we know, a HUGE mistake).

As for our sponsors, as per our agreement [very similar to user agreement] in the event that something like this happens, unfortunately this is a issue and loss we must share. All sponsors who have paid up until down time will not be refunded. If you have yet to send your sponsorship dues, please do not, as once it is sent we cannot refund it. If you are setup on a subscription basis, please cancel subscriptions as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you as best as possible.

Once again, I would like to apologize for everything to everyone. Like BeerGuy has already stated, website will be updated with more information regarding the situation that has shut us down.

-mhurley

So all my RC post are gone also????

Joking aside it's sad that this has happened and thanks to the folks here for assuring redundancy.

This is a huge event. Very sad indeed.

I was a big user of RC and will miss it. :(

I "grew" up on RC before i found BRS. I had a lot of useful threads on there bookmarked. Hopefully RC can bounce back strongly.

On another note reef2reef.com is slower that dog crap. Looks like that's where everyone is converging. I think they should all come here and buy a membership! :)

...this club has backups that run hourly on our current server, and we can bring up a virtual copy of the entire BRS forum server in a matter of hours.
Hey Jay,
I read that the problem with the design is that the Backups were done on the same server as the production box... Hence, when it failed a recovery could not be performed...

On another note reef2reef.com is slower that dog crap. Looks like that's where everyone is converging. I think they should all come here and buy a membership! :)

I've noticed it's hard to log into R2R yesterday wondered why?

Check the RC page now though
Hello RC Members.

Sorry for the interruption. We'll be back in a little while, I need to check something.

To the folks spreading rumors and making up quotes, it's pretty sad when you have to resort to lying to try and get members.
Slander and libel are pretty serious things.
Cheers
There might be more to come out of this story ;)

Apparently reefcentral is now claiming that the stories we are hearing are made up and they should be online again soon.

For anyone who is interested in knowing, thanks to last years' BoD making an investment in technology for the club, this club has backups that run hourly on our current server, and we can bring up a virtual copy of the entire BRS forum server in a matter of hours.

That's for a club of this size, with our much-more-limited resources...not something as big as RC. I'm saddened if this is true; this is a simply awful loss for the hobby.

Out of morbid curiosity, is disaster recovery tested periodically? Is there a copy stored offsite? I'm not an expert but was just curious to see if this is done for a site like this. Also, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, so let me know if you want "advice."

Back