Reef Safe Silicon

yitbos

Non-member
Do any box stores sell a brand of silicon that is safe to use in our tanks. If so, what is it? I hate to drop $17 on a tube at the LFS. Thanks

got some at home depot yesterday think it was 4 or 5 bucks. it said right on the front safe for aquarium use...

Nope, lots of "silicione I's " have the mold inhibitor. IIRC you want the "silicone I Window & door"

That said, what do you actually want it for? Building a tank, putting baffles into a sump, or something else? I ask because if you're building a tank, you should be using a commercial grade adhesive silicone which you cannot get at HD. If you are just putting baffles in a sump or something like that, then the common sealant grade siliciones (like silicione I) will work fine.

Not all "100% silicone" is the same.

Nope, lots of "silicione I's " have the mold inhibitor. IIRC you want the "silicone I Window & door"

That said, what do you actually want it for? Building a tank, putting baffles into a sump

I am just putting Baffles in a sump.
Thanks

If you're building a tank or the like, you want to use something like GE RTV silicone.

This is what i used when i made my sump. Its the same sealant used for making aquariums, so you know it will hold up in your sump. I believe the actual type i used was RTV 108, i got large tube of it from Grainger for about $9

From what I've read on RC, GE 100% Silicone (the one without mold inhibitor) is safe for aquarium. There is a debate on why the label says "Not for use below the water line or aquarium" but I believe it is proven to be safe by many other reefers. I used Silicone I (Clear) from HD when I built my sump.

The issue is the strength. RTV100 is many times stronger than G&E type I. One is an "adhesive", the other is a "sealant".

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is the strength. RTV100 is many times stronger than G&E type I. One is an "adhesive", the other is a "sealant".

who told you that................RTV just simply means room temperature vulcanization.and that means it cures best at 72 degrees

Is silicone 1 clear for kitchen/bath/plumbing not aquarium safe? I didn't even see any other silicone 1 at home depot.

who told you that................RTV just simply means room temperature vulcanization.and that means it cures best at 72 degrees

RTV is a generic term in the silicone world, doesn't mean much by itself.

"RTV100 series" (actually sold and no longer a G&E product) is talking about a specific line of industrial grade adhesive silicones, not the common sealants that most silicones are. I can't point you to one specific source of this as there are so many. Look up the MSDS sheets if you like. I can get the numbers and correct spelling of the manufacture off of a tube when I get home later if that would help.

Aside from everything else, if you have ever tried to remove or clean up RTV100 series vs regular type I, it rapidly becomes obvious that they are not the same animal.

Also, to clear up some common confusion in terms;
"100% silicone" is pretty much meaningless in comparing silicones as basically all silicones say "100% silicone". Type I, Type II, and various other kinds of silicone all say 100% silicone.

Type I vs Type II refers to the cure type. There are various versions of both, for example type I window and door, type I kitchen and bath, and a whole assortment of other options.

Another tid bit; mold inhibitor. I have read and been told a lot of things about this. The most credible summary IMO that I have heard is that it's actually not an additive, but rather a simple marketing label that refers to the fact any silicone cures with a surface that is not particularly condusive to mold or mildew growth. I don't know fact from fiction here, so I would say to avoid the mold and mildew labeled stuff, but I do suspect it's just a marketing sticker.

Also, regardless of what it says on the label, all silicone is somewhat vulnerable to degredation when exposed to saltwater. Not rapid, but still.

Summary, what you read on the tubes on the shelves of HD is somewhere between partially and completely just marketing BS.

Best bets IMO;
If it's non structural such as baffles in a sump, G&E type I door and window is fine, but I'd seek out the more generic tubes that they sell at local hardware stores. No claims of mold/mildew inhibitors, nothing fancy.

If it is structural, like building a tank or installing an external overflow onto a glass tank, you need a commercial grade adheasive such as the RTV 100 series, or there are a couple of others that are considered to be roughly equal, but the RTV 100 is the easiest to find and most often reccomended in the hobby.

Last, going by established rumor at least; the stuff you buy at fish stores that is packaged by AGA, marineland, aqueon exct... supposedly is the weaker sealant much like you can find on the shelves of HD, and not a commercial adhesive like they actually build tanks from. I dont' know this to be or not be fact, but it's something I have heard repeatedly from sources I tend to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is silicone 1 clear for kitchen/bath/plumbing not aquarium safe? I didn't even see any other silicone 1 at home depot.

Reiterating if you don't want to read the above novel; Try a local mom and pop store. Ace, true value exct.. PM me later to remind and I'll post a pic of the basic type I that is fine to use for baffles.

I used the one I listed. I read a few other threads and they just said to use type 1 then when I finish my baffles I stable across this thread.

Back