Reef tank upgrading to 250 starfire

Mr.Rodrigo502

Non-member
Hey guys I just got a sweet deal on a 250 marineland starfire tank.... I'm starting all from scratch.... It has a canopy and stand... I need some advice on what size sump u guys recommend.... It will be going in the stand.... Stand measures a little I've 5 foot and width is about a little over 3 feet and it will be about 2.5 feet tall..... Skimmer is going to be a reeflow pro 2.....any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! And if anyone has a sump sutible for my setup shoot me a pm!

Last edited:
I'd say plan out what you want to hide in your stand... then see what you have left over for remaining space and get the biggest you can fit. I don't have much room under my 4ft wide 75g stand so I put in a 30g breeder and ran electrical, controller ato stuff out the back to another cabinet next to it...

Yea I'm taking my time on this one as I still have my 120 reef running which in the future going to be re installed in "my man cave" lol I was thinking of a 125 sump which the skimmer externally installed for quicker maintenance. And the simmer is huge anyway....

Gee, start a blog on this... I would love to follow your entire experience as it is similar to what I wan to do eventually. Thanks

Yea that's the skimmer.... The sump is a bit pricey........the biggest one is the 60 gal...... But you think maybe between a 75 gal to a 125 sump with a fuge in it.... Tank has two corner overflows so I would pipe them down to a first section of the sump with a filter sock.. Followed by baffles water flowing to fugue with macro and some sand with a light then go through baffles again and the return pump...the skimmer would be external.

Hmmmm...... Wish I knew how to use te blog... Either way no one is rarely there! Lol I would probably start a do it urself thread or something.

Ok I got 3 options on sumps
1) 90 gal homemade sump with fuge
2)120 4x2x2 home made sump with fuge
3) 190 sump acrylic with fuge....

Which would be best? And as a return I'm thinking of a mag 18 or mag 36?
If u have a large sump pm me!

ok so i found a sump from pallobi............120 gal 4x2x2..........now im planning the design for the sump..................btw...mag 18 or 36? cmon guys i really need the help here! this is my first time designing a sump.........................

btw mods can u guys switch this thread over to *do it your self* thread as im going to take pics of the whole progress.....................this whole system upgrade got me nervious! hoping everything goes well.....

I would say a mag 18 myself, but the other would rock too :)

I plan on using (2) mag 9.5's when i upgrade to my 180g... one for each overflow return line...

If I may add my .02...
If you are going to a 250... I wouldn't go with a single return for one reason... redundancy. Protect your investment. I currently have a large single external return pump that I will be converting to 2 external returns over the winter for this reason. Something I should have done from the start.

You are about to make a significant investment in "stuff"... most importantly livestock. What do you do when the pump fails? Or you need to replace an impeller? Or something else... You have then isolated the two water volumes (tank from Sump) with no turnover while you wait for a fix or can locate a spare pump. I would design 2 returns if for no other reason than peace of mind. You certainly have the sump space to support it.

If internal like a Mag...What do you plan for lighting? The reason I ask... you may want to consider heat. If you plan to use heat intense lighting like MH, then heat may be a consideration for you because cooling a large water volume is potentially expensive. If you run MH you will be radiating heat, add to that an internal pump (or pumps) that are increasing your tank temp as they cool. You may come to a point where in a large water volume controlling or reducing your temp will be more expensive than what you might spend using external pumps. You could get away with cost effective fans to increase evap, or have to go the expensive chiller route. That's a choice/risk you need to decide on but should be considered when building an entire system.

For that reason I prefer external pumps but you may not have room under the stand so internal may be your only solution. There are a lot of suggestions on these forums for quiet external pumps that can be plumbed into your sump.

Speaking of, the way you described the water flow (2 Drains -> Fuge -> return) is putting 100% of your tank volume through the fuge. It certainly works, but some opinions believe fuge flow should be slower, certainly not the same turnover rate as your tank. Depending on the opinions you may see something like 10X turnover for the drains, 3X or slower for the fuge per hour. The reason is the slower flow gives slower, flow averse critters a happier life, time to grow, etc. This also lets you light 1 side of your sump instead of the middle which means you can run the other sides dark. This reduces algae and future maint. as a result that we all grow lazy with over time. Again, this is a decision you have to make but if it were me, I would split a drain line and feed the fuge with that leaving your return chamber in the middle. (2 Drains -> Return chamber <- fuge, T from 1 drain).

Last edited:
If I may add my .02...
If you are going to a 250... I wouldn't go with a single return for one reason... redundancy. Protect your investment. I currently have a large single external return pump that I will be converting to 2 external returns over the winter for this reason. Something I should have done from the start.

You are about to make a significant investment in "stuff"... most importantly livestock. What do you do when the pump fails? Or you need to replace an impeller? Or something else... You have then isolated the two water volumes (tank from Sump) with no turnover while you wait for a fix or can locate a spare pump. I would design 2 returns if for no other reason than peace of mind. You certainly have the sump space to support it.

If internal like a Mag...What do you plan for lighting? The reason I ask... you may want to consider heat. If you plan to use heat intense lighting like MH, then heat may be a consideration for you because cooling a large water volume is potentially expensive. If you run MH you will be radiating heat, add to that an internal pump (or pumps) that are increasing your tank temp as they cool. You may come to a point where in a large water volume controlling or reducing your temp will be more expensive than what you might spend using external pumps. You could get away with cost effective fans to increase evap, or have to go the expensive chiller route. That's a choice/risk you need to decide on but should be considered when building an entire system.

For that reason I prefer external pumps but you may not have room under the stand so internal may be your only solution. There are a lot of suggestions on these forums for quiet external pumps that can be plumbed into your sump.

Speaking of, the way you described the water flow (2 Drains -> Fuge -> return) is putting 100% of your tank volume through the fuge. It certainly works, but some opinions believe fuge flow should be slower, certainly not the same turnover rate as your tank. Depending on the opinions you may see something like 10X turnover for the drains, 3X or slower for the fuge per hour. The reason is the slower flow gives slower, flow averse critters a happier life, time to grow, etc. This also lets you light 1 side of your sump instead of the middle which means you can run the other sides dark. This reduces algae and future maint. as a result that we all grow lazy with over time. Again, this is a decision you have to make but if it were me, I would split a drain line and feed the fuge with that leaving your return chamber in the middle. (2 Drains -> Return chamber <- fuge, T from 1 drain).

hey thanks for the info there....well i have 2 mag 18's and 1 mag 36...i can use either or.............i can also get my hands on a reeflo barracuda if nesessary...as for light im doing 4 panels 3watt cree x96 leds blue and white....im also doing one panel of led in my sump fuge which im planning to leave on at night while the tank is in night mode..........ill draw a couple diagrams and upload them here tell me what u think....

Are you set on that skimmer? I know where you might find an orca200 for a small fraction of that $1700 price :)

As for the pump, persoally I would go with a quality external pump over a mag drive anyday.

btw mods can u guys switch this thread over to *do it your self* thread as im going to take pics of the whole progress.....................this whole system upgrade got me nervious! hoping everything goes well.....

Moved to DIY

As for a skimmer I'm going with an mrc reeflo pro 2.... It's rated for 500 to 1000 gal and it's going to be external.... Yea I'm thinking on an external pump now lol..... I have another reefer selling me 2 Pan world pumps..... Should I go for them? The sump is glass should the baffles be glass also or can I use acrylic? I'm also considering adding a co2 tank and ca reactor... Would the geo 6x12 ca reactor do the job or a mrc-2 better?

Back