Reef tank upgrading to 250 starfire

IME panworld pumps are very reliable and of good quality. Probably slightly more noise than a comprable iwaki with a japanese motor, or about the same as an iwaki with an american motor.

For baffles in a glass sump you can do either glass or acrylic.
-Glass would be the best choice as it won't swell and will have a better bond to silicon than acrylic. Use 1/4" thick and make sure to have the exposed edge ground, or sand it to get rid of the sharp edge.
-Acrylic works just fine as well, but it does swell slightly due to absorbing water so you need to be careful not to fit the baffles too tight. Acrylic won't bond as well to silicone, but it sticks well enough. Use 1/4" thick, and cut the baffles at least 3/16" loose so that the swelling doesn't crack the glass sump.

Ca reactors are all pretty similar and they all work on the same principals so It's hard to advise one over another. I've used a MRC Ca reactor and it worked well. The Geos also have a good rep. I'd suggest seeing what you can get a deal on used if anything.

That's a heafty skimmer your looking at. I have it's little brother which would be plenty for a 250G system, FS for $350 wink wink.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK SO LIKE I HAD PROMISED EVERYONE I WOULD POST UP PICTURES OF MY DREAM TANK.....................I HAVE BEEN BUSY ALL WEEKEND GOING TO DIFFERENT MEMBERS HOUSES GRABBING EVERYTHING I THOUGHT WOULD BE USEFUL IN MY BUILD..............FIRST OFF IS MY MRC SKIMMER.....ITS PRETTY SMALL.... :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JUST TEST FITTING MAKING SURE EVERYTHING WILL FIT UNDER THE STAND...SADLY MY 120 SUMP WILL NOT FIT........SO SUMP IS GOING TO STORAGE OR FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.....................IM GOING A DIFFERENT ROUTE IN FILTRATION..............

Thats the status on my build as of now...im leaving work early to meet up with other reefers and work more on my setup :D ............................ Will post more pics of the build.......... Also getting leds in my sump.... :D

Hey as of right now I'm doing the electrical on my tank....... where should I install my heater? My sump has 3 compartments 1 to receive water, 2 is the fuge and 3 is the return....... I'm thinking in the first compartment......?

I regret to tell everyone but i dont think the build will go on anymore.................. This build has been very expensive BUT fun.....but i just destroyed my $2k dollar tv during the build..........toO upset now TO THINK OF THE BUILD.......
Im sticking to my old 120 tank..............wish i saw my dream tank up and running but guess is not happening............. :(

Now isn't the time to wimp out! You need this tank more than ever!!! If anything, just put this tank where the TV was! Watching an epic reef is better than TV anyways! Keep your chin up and lets get through this!

Now isn't the time to wimp out! You need this tank more than ever!!! If anything, just put this tank where the TV was! Watching an epic reef is better than TV anyways! Keep your chin up and lets get through this!

lmao.............hahaha so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only thing is the tank is bigger than my 55 inch tv.....so it dont fit...
idk i have to see whats going to happen with the tv.....its brand new......then again my tank over tv all day............

HEY GUYS...SO IVE DECIDED THAT IM GOING TO CONTINUE WITH MY DREAM TANK BUILD. R.I.P 55 TOSHIBA TV.............WELCOME 250 GAL TANK..........

OK SO WORK WASNT AS BUSY TODAY, SO WAS PLAYING AROUND WITH THE COMPUTER AND I ENDED UP DRAWING THIS DIAGRAM........LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK........IM GOING TO SKIPTONS AND HOMEDEPOT TODAY TO BUY TTHE BULK HEADS AND PVC PIPES.......

Glad to hear it! I will be at skiptons and a couple peoples houses in the area tomorrow to get some rock and coral. Do you happen to know of an amazing roast beef sandwich place in east boston? If there is anything I like more than fish keeping or fishing, it is good eats!

Back