Removing anemones from rock

ReeferMedic

Non-member
Any one have any tricks on removing stubborn anemones from live rock. I can't get them off without ripping the foot. I have a couple that have bleached out that I'm going to give to someone. I just bought a rtba from Skipton's and i need to get these ones out......

I've moved my by simply "tickling" its foot until it gave up. This was done a couple times with a Green BTA in my system. I've also heard of the ice trick working successfully, but I'd be afraid of burning the foot.

D

They don't like direct flow from powerheads. I had to use rodi ice cubes AND balst it with a ph. It took a little time but it worked.

just get some sharp object, like scissors or a knife or screwdriver, to get a little bit of the foot off, then use your finger to gently pull the rest of the foot off. it takes several minutes but take it slow and gently pull it off. get your finger under there and keep working it. never fails.

I dunno about the scissor thing. I wanted to put a colony of Zoas near where a BTA was sitting, so I started with my fingers, then quickly moved to scissors. A couple of minutes later, after lots of slime, and pieces of the poor BTA floating around I gave up. I couldn't bear harming him any more. :(

Unfortunately, he is at the bottom of a 90 gallon tank on the underside of a rock, and near a semi-aggressive gold-striped maroon clown fish, so it's a probably more difficult than most cases I would imagine. :p I will definitely try the ice trick on him when he recovers!

Eric

this is me said:
I used a knife and carefully scrap the thin layer of the rock that the foot is attached to.

I've done the same thing for xenia, mushrooms and zoos and this technique works really well... the rock is very porous and comes loose easily, the trick is to slowly scrap under the coral/anemone, not on the animal itself.

Nuno

Back