Removing coral remnants?

Kens Bees

BRS Member
I did a tank transfer and reused all the live rock in new configurations. Some of the rocks that were vertical, for example, are now flat. I broke off a good chunk of monti that had begun growing on to the uprights, but it left behind a good edge of live coral on what is now a shelf. The edge is definitely healthy and now spreading. If I don't want it there is there anyway to either permanently remove or stop it from growing where it is? Do I suck it up and get something more aggressive to overtake it or just deal with it as is?

I use Water Weld to control my leptospirosis. It's not that attractive, but it does the job, and it's easy to remove.

When my encrusting corals are encroaching into space I had other plans for, I make a clean cut with a fresh razor blade to separate it from the part I want to keep. Next I either pry up the part I don't want or I use kalk past to kill it.

Cover it with AiptasiaX, and leave your pumps off for the recommended 15 minutes or longer. The magic ingredient of AiptasiaX is the sodium hydroxide (caustic sofa), which will kill stony corals with sufficient contact time. More time the better to make sure the coral is dead underneath. Easier and more effective than trying to chip off every last piece.

I've never worked with either kalk or aiptasiaX. Do you mix it up to like a toothpaste consistency and slather it on? Does it eventually wash away or should I siphon it off during a water change?

Kalk, yes. It's got a very high pH, so you don't want it to accidentally land on anything you want to live. Typically I kill the flow, put it on the offending organism, wait a little and then turn the flow back on, making sure that no kalk paste is blown onto any corals you want to live.

Back