Replacement bulb recommendations?

vp6799

Non-member
I am setting up a 72 Bowfront tank and am looking for some replacement bulbs for the Current power compact fixture that i'm using. It is 4 65W PC bulbs.

I am planning on doing 2 420/460nm 50/50 actinic bulbs

The other 2 are what i'm not sure of...

Should I do:
2 10,000K Daylight bulbs
2 6,700K/10,000K 50/50 bulbs
or
2 12,000K Actinic bulbs

I'm not exactly sure what I will be keeping in there as far as corals go.

Thanks
Vic

imo i think with you spending money on new bulbs you could just look for a used t-5 light and it would probably cost you the same...........

I've been watching the for sale section for a while now and haven't seen any 4 bulb T5 fixtures "with" good bulbs for under $200. I can order the 4 new bulbs for $100 shipped. That's why I was going with new PC bulbs.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Is there a preference on the brand? Not many companies make PC bulbs.

Coralife
Aquaticlife
UV Lighting Co.
Current USA

Is it ok to go with actinics that only give out 420nm light?? Or should I get the 50/50 420/460nm actinic bulbs??

Is it ok to go with actinics that only give out 420nm light?? Or should I get the 50/50 420/460nm actinic bulbs??

The difference would be very little.The biggest difference is with 03 actinic.
That really has a more purple look than the others.

The difference would be very little.The biggest difference is with 03 actinic.
That really has a more purple look than the others.

So the 420nm or 460nm doesn't really matter? Is it just a color difference or does one provide better growth than the other?

IME hellolights is a good e-tailer, but their "TRU" blubs are really weak (The T5s at least, I haven't tried the PCs)

I was reading a bunch of info after doing a google search. From what I gathered, 420nm is supposed to be for coral growth and health because it gives off most of it's light in the low 415-420nm spectrum and 460nm is more for just giving a blue look because it's higher in the spectrum range (450-460nm).

The 420nm will give more of a purplish look while the 460nm will give a blue look to the tank. If I read and understood everything correctly, then the 420nm sounds like a better choice for coral health. Then I could use some blue led's to add more look if needed.

Does this sound somewhat correct? I want to get the right bulbs the first time.

Back