Return pump failed!

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Hey BRS, long time no see. 5-30-2014 to be exact.

Welp....my return pump failed. It was a reeflo blowhole (really, that's the model). If you read on the interwebs, they are prone to overheat and catastrophic failure.

Back when they came out, Reeflo had a very solid namebrand, and I scooped up 3 of them at an introductory price. Like think 1/2 of retail.

First pump lasted 15 months. Overheated and failed. I blamed it on poor pump maintenance. Put in the second one in about 15 minutes on quick disconnects. The second one lasted 9 months. This was AFTER a cleaning when it was 6 months old. However, it was now 25 months since purchase, so zero warranty.

Fast forward to 3rd pump. Smoke detector went off in the fish room, smoke pouring out of it, the driver unit failed.

So I need a new solution. Easy on Watts, easy on purchase

What's the 2015 tech for pumps that don't kill your wallet, and can feed a 180 that's 13 from fish room sump to return.

Oh, and I need it today :p

Anybody got a spare? :confused:

Wish I could help. I don't have much expierence with bigger pumps. I am sure someone will chime in. Good luck.

You consider one of the Jebao 12k DC pumps.

That would only be moving about 250-300gph at Jay's head.

Jay, do you need a loaner again? I think I still have that iwaki you borrowed before. LMK...

That would only be moving about 250-300gph at Jay's head.

A bigger, more expensive pump is probably a better fit for this job. The new head loss charts for the DCS series pumps show about 1100gph @ 4m of head (but perhaps my math is wrong):

DCS_Hmax_VS_550.jpg

Reeflo hammerhead bro been using one for years without flaw
Long time no see jay! Pics of the tank?

Reeflo hammerhead bro been using one for years without flaw
Long time no see jay! Pics of the tank?

I'm trying to get my reef chemistry back in order, made worse by a separation between cooler sump and warmer display.

Alas, my tank needs some work, mixing up water for a 100g water change.

I was able to buy a little giant 4-MDQ-SC. With 2 elbows , the head is the equivalent of about 16 feet, so flow is in the 500GPH range.

The little giant is noticeably louder than the reeflo it replaced. But none of that noise is transmitted upstairs. Took the opportunity to fully clean the skimmer, clean the skimmer motor, knock a bunch of salt creep off, etc.. Cleaned my tunzes in what used to be the frag tank, the algae is blowing around everywhere now.

I have a dead MP40W in the tank, that's next to be sent off to repair. Maybe they can upgrade it to a silent ;) One thing at a time; This is a much lower budget hobby now than it was when I started

Glad you got it fixed, was nice to talk reef regardless of the situation.

Now to get that tank rehabbed and some corals in there :D

Glad you got it fixed, was nice to talk reef regardless of the situation.

Now to get that tank rehabbed and some corals in there :D

I scrubbbed my skimmer and vacuumed all kinds of algae. Going to change 100G tonight, assuming I get all my (kids' :confused: ) homework requirement done tonight.

For the future.. check out Pan World USA pumps... very similar to Iwaki ( one of their engineers started the business)but 1/3 the price... they make pumps for many applications and first hand ( both industrial and personal) experience has taught me these rugged quiet pumps get the job done...

Back