Return pump repair or replacement needed ASAP

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Woke up this morning to find my return pump spewing water all over the ceiling of my fish room, which then dripped onto the floor. I figure about 120 gallons, so far. :(

I use a reeflo tarpon, it is leaking from the housing. I'm not sure if there's a gasket in the housing which has failed; it is shooting out between the 2 plastic housing pieces when it is fired up

Anyone with a spare return pump they can lend or sell on very short notice?

I will be checking back in between wet-vac tanks emptying.

ugh. my backup mag18 just shocked the crap out of me....so my backup isn't going to be an option either.

lights off, powerheads running, but I needs me a pump!

Thanks again to the BRS family, I have a loaner coming in the next hour or so! Off to the depot to get some PVC to mod my plenum

WOW!

Hope things turn out well Jay.

Keep us posted.

Issues like this are part of the reason why I am taking my time with my install. I am trying to put redundancy into the system, to prevent major fire drill issues.

Yeah, we all know how that works out. OMG, I think I just saw that little gremlin running by my window.

scary, but I had plumbing already at the house, even though I was using unions and going from 3/4" to 1 inch on the return and 1 1/2 down to one on the supply.

I added in the 40g of mixed water and then 40 more of instant mixed water, and I am back up and running. Will top the last 40g off tomorrow, when i check levels and SG and everything has equalled out.

MANY THANKS to JohnK for the loaner pump, and the PM offers of other loaners. THIS is what the BRS is about.

Jay

You are truly one of the nicest guys in this hobby and please do not take this the wrong way, but maybe It’s time to choose a new hobby. For years I have been reading about your misfortune in this hobby weather it is a total loss of corals or fish or what seems like a regular scheduled flood. Maybe something that does not require living things under your care would work out better, I have been guilty of this in the past, killing fish and corals for our own selfish reasons. Again please don’t take offence to this but maybe its time to toss in the towel on reefkeeping.

-Cory

Jay

You are truly one of the nicest guys in this hobby and please do not take this the wrong way, but maybe It’s time to choose a new hobby. For years I have been reading about your misfortune in this hobby weather it is a total loss of corals or fish or what seems like a regular scheduled flood. Maybe something that does not require living things under your care would work out better, I have been guilty of this in the past, killing fish and corals for our own selfish reasons. Again please don’t take offence to this but maybe its time to toss in the towel on reefkeeping.

-Cory

I'd come close to agreeing with you on this one, but I didn't lose so much as a hair algae strand with this one. No chemical imbalance, everything retained circulation, and not so much as a ticked off coral - this time.

I **KNEW** I was due for a new return pump, this just forced my hand. 2 new Reeflo Blowhole 1450's are already shipped on their way to me.

The only surprise was the dead backup pump, but I am solving that issue with 2 NEW ones.

I'm 4 shims, 2 holes for my mp40's and 1 canopy delivery away from water in my display for the first time in 2.5 years.....too close to give up now, :)

Sorry to hear of your misfortune again. Hopefully things like this will stop happening. Keep your chin up and carry on. :)

Hey, for perspective's sake I'm pretty sure Jay hasn't had a wet floor in a couple of yrs now ;)

all true, I guess I was due. this one was a doozy, but the system looks OK, and the corals are open and happy. I had a temp dip down to 74-ish, no big deal.

changed my carbon, cleaned my skimmer, rodi is making new water, I think it's going to be OK. Waiting on the new pumps now. :) They were very fairly priced.

Hey, for perspective's sake I'm pretty sure Jay hasn't had a wet floor in a couple of yrs now ;)

LMAO... That's great and totally along the lines of what I was thinking...

You're almost there Jay don't give up hope now!

Wow, that's awful. Sorry to hear about this. I haven't been around that long, so, I don't know the history. All I can say, it you seem make a great contribution to the forum, so, I certainly hope you don't throw in the towel! Glad to hear your picking up the pieces :)

Back