return pump??

gurumasta

Senior Moron
hi i am wondering what the (IDEAL) number of times to turn your water over an hour is. i am setting up a 75 gallon and im checking out return pumps and saying do i want 325gph, do i want 500gph?, and so on. please give me your opinion on how many gph pump i want for a 75 gallon. thank you, derek

I run a mag 9 on a 55!!! Soon to be a mag 7 on a 75 as I'm no longer using return for water flow. 500-600 should be good for a 75g, 325 is a little on the low end.

IMO, it's more important to have in-tank flow than to have a lot of water going through the sump... plus, you're limited by how much water the overflow can handle. 500-600gph should be fine for a typical/standard overflow. Then focus on how much flow you'll have inside the tank, and how you want to achieve it (powerheads, closed-loop, tunzes, etc).

Nuno

I rather have a low turn over rate from the return pump and very high trun over rate from the pump in the tank.

check out calfo's forum on reef central about surface skim + return rate...u would be surprised.

Mr. Slippery said:
I run a mag 9 on a 55!!! Soon to be a mag 7 on a 75 as I'm no longer using return for water flow. 500-600 should be good for a 75g, 325 is a little on the low end.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that mine is dialed back a bit, and that I have a Tunze and 2 powerheads in tank for the "major" flow.

turnover rate

in my 75 sho i have a mag12 return ,mag9.5 closed loop and a 300gph powerhead,with 2 owerflow boxes

Back