Rimless tank leveling question- Please help!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
I just finished filling up my brand new 120G Rimless tank this morning and I noticed that the water level is 1/8" lower than the front. I checked the level now and it seems to be a little off.

A little summary of what I did before I filled it;

-Tank is in the same location as my previous 72G setup
-I made sure the tank was 100% leveled with a leveler
-I put a thin layer of foam between the tank and stand
-Tank and stand are brand new

Is it normal for it to move a little due to the weight? Should I be concern? Should I empty it out and shimmy it more?

TIA guys...
Higor

I would think it moved due to compression of the foam? I was advised against using foam, not sure if it was the right decision or not but i just used wood door shims between my rimless and my stand and the tank stayed nice and level after filling. Seems to be holding up fine too. Btw I was just very confused by your pics till I figured out they were inverted lol!

I would not worry to much about 1/8", a 1/4" yes. You could drain the tank, re-level, shim stand every 3-4" with door frame shims from Lowe's or The Home Depot, mark the shims with marker and cut off, re-install cut shims flush, refill.

I would think it moved due to compression of the foam? I was advised against using foam, not sure if it was the right decision or not but i just used wood door shims between my rimless and my stand and the tank stayed nice and level after filling. Seems to be holding up fine too. Btw I was just very confused by your pics till I figured out they were inverted lol!

I thought it moved due to the foam too. Foam it self is about 1/8" thick. I didn't want to go any thicker because I was afraid this exactly same thing would happen. I am just wondering it it's normal to move after you fill it and if 1/8" is something to be concerned about it.

I would not worry to much about 1/8", a 1/4" yes. You could drain the tank, re-level, shim stand every 3-4" with door frame shims from Lowe's or The Home Depot, mark the shims with marker and cut off, re-install cut shims flush, refill.

If I re-shim it, what's the best way of doing? It looks like it's leaning 1/8" forward, so should I put shims on the front corners and front middle? It's going to be a lt of work emptying this whole thing up, but I rather do it now than have to do it when I have transferred all my live stock to it...

Thanks guys
Higor

Last edited:
Looking good man!

Structurally 1/8" on a 120 ain't gonna hurt anything IMO.

Assume you can't see it with your eye so aesthetics are not a problem.

Only problem I see is within you lol.
You just spent however much money on this beautiful set up is it going to bother you? Your going to be the only one that knows about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide sure it will turn out fine either way.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Looking good man!

Structurally 1/8" on a 120 ain't gonna hurt anything IMO.

Assume you can't see it with your eye so aesthetics are not a problem.

Only problem I see is within you lol.
You just spent however much money on this beautiful set up is it going to bother you? Your going to be the only one that knows about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide sure it will turn out fine either way.

I can see from across the room with the lights off!!!! :p But u r right, u can't really tell unless u take a tape measure to it or really looking for it.

My main concern would be if 1/8" off makes it unsafe...

If you can see it from across the room you will see it forever! Lol

I was also advised not to use foam under the tank. The manufacturer of my tank will void the warranty if I have foam under neath.

If you add 1000lbs of water you may see some additional settling, so the floor probably settled with more weight. When I set a tank I test fill to see how much the floor move and adjust accordingly. Empty re fill and check for level. Always level the bottom of the stand

My advice is to make the adjustment and make sure it is correct as it may a be up for years and it may take a year or two of stress for a failure. But your tank, your call and your risk

Foam voiding warranty will depend on the manufacturer. On a flat bottom tank it will reduce pressure points on trim tank it will break the bottom out. Hopefully you have done your home work there as to not put your warranty in jeopardy

Last edited:
I wouldn't put water in that tank. It'll all end up on the floor. :p
photo1_zpsd77ecc13.jpg

Good looking tank though.

(o;

Someone else said the same thing. Anyways, I emptied the tank and shimmed it. Now the bubble is dead center.

Higor

Back