Rinsing new live sand?

Kens Bees

BRS Member
I have my rockscape where I want it and I’m ready to put sand in. Does anyone have strong opinions about rinsing or not? There’s a spongodes and a few zoas on the live rock but nothing I’m super concerned about.

If you do rinse, how do you do it? Everything I picture in my head is just a big wet mess with as much sand on the floor as in the tank.

Don’t rinse it. Also don’t dump it in all at once, use a cup to add it in a little at a time, then use the flocculant it comes with. I’d use a filter sock too.

use a piece of 4” pvc which will reach the bottom dump it in through the pvc to reduce the silty cloud. it will still happen but this reduces it a bit because it does not hit the water until the bottom.

Yeah if it’s wet, live sand and it’s new, I’d just add to the tank. Try to place it vs dumping it if you can as others have mentioned.

Is the sand dry? If so I would using a pillow case
That would helped on Friday. Great idea. Now ya say a lil trick. Lol

Attachments

• 20220304_081252.jpg
    20220304_081252.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 96
Thanks all, it is the Carib Sea sand so I'll put it in without rinsing. It's a deep tank so I like the idea of the PVC pipe to get it where it needs to be without spreading everywhere.

The flocculant is in the bag with the sand?

Thanks all, it is the Carib Sea sand so I'll put it in without rinsing. It's a deep tank so I like the idea of the PVC pipe to get it where it needs to be without spreading everywhere.

The flocculant is in the bag with the sand?

You could also put the bag all the way into the tank, take a blade and slit the bag in the bottom and a small cut in the top and it will pour in with less trouble.

checkout the below video at about 11:30 mark.

Back