rinsing tank,sand,an rock with RODI waste water

bruinsboy70

Non-member
Hello, I have some time off due to this blizzard and was going to try and restart my 125. Due to a equipment malfunction my tank crashed and now I want to clean up tank ect....
My plan was to just run the waste water line from my RO to the tank and fill and drain it a few times before filling with saltwater.
Any Thoughts are greatly appreciated
Thanks

My first thought is to say no, don't do it. The RO(DI) waste is more concentrated stuff you don't want building up in the rock/sand. It's probably fine to use to rinse/wash out the tank itself (along with vinegar).

But then I thought, I've rinsed rock and sand in tap water (well water) before... can't say I've ever had any issues because of that.

If it's just a quick rinse it probably won't hurt anything... you could do a primary cleaning with the RO waste and then do a quick rinse in straight RO at the end.

Sure others will chime in with other opinions.

"you could do a primary cleaning with the RO waste and then do a quick rinse in straight RO at the end."

I like this idea and do it fairly often (which doesn't mean much) also use tap a lot for cleaning. Remember RO waste water is higher is some stuff but it has also already been through a lot of the filtration process (mechanical, carbon,...) before it gets concentrated down. It takes time for things to adsorb onto the rock surface.

Back