rio pumps are dangerous

KyleinCT

Non-member
So....I moved my powder brown tang to my 210 display and left my pair of clown in the 30 QT tonight. I just heard a rattle from my tank room as I surfed for a vacation on the puter. Tracked the sound to a rio 600 ph in the QT. pulled out the rattling ph and it's SPARKING.

Talk about a disaster avoided. This is why you can't trust a rio in even a temp set up.:mad:

After I pulled the pump, I let it run to see if it'd catch fire. It did.:eek:

Your SO lucky! Good for you for catching that.

FWIW, Rio's have had a long term problem with occasionally nuking tanks.

Something along the lines of;
the housing wears unevenly, cracks,, wears through, or something, then the epoxy (or something else) imbedded in the housing leaks and tanks die fast!

Sounds like you might have caught this just (hours or even minutes) before it went catastrophic!

Throw that Rio away!

jk

I can't tell you how many times I hear this same thing.. Never brought one myself, but after all these stories not now.

Oh god you guys are scaring me. I have a rio 1400 running my remora skimmer. Maybe Ill switch it to a mag drive....

im curious as to how often those that say they have tons of trouble perform preventative maint. I know many people that clean them monthly and haven't had a problem. Im no fan of rio myself. But I have ran the Hyperflows before and not had any problems...again...i cleaned them per the instructions that come in the box with every pump.

Back