"roll-able temporary stand" for empty aquarium - am I insane?

thomb

thomb
Just got the 160 fully drained today. It weighs (and costs) north of what I and one other man can move. Was thinking about building a rolling stand the same height as the current stand - slide the tank off of the stand (which it can easily do), move it out of the way, perform maintenance, slide it back on to the stand. I'm competent enough to build such a thing- mostly wondering if its a hairbrained idea- something I am prone to doing.

Movers last time cost me $250 -but now they are hinting about that increasing dramatically

Tagging along for this one. I have considered doing this several times myself. However, Im thinking a permanent solution to make it easier to move my system in one piece.

casters for that kind of weight are going to mar a hardwood floor, not roll well over grout if it's tiled, and not roll at all if it's carpet.

You'd be better to offer beer and pizza to your fellow reefers and move it by hand.

At least that's how the OLD BRS use-ta roll

heck I'd do beer and steak dinner to move this beast if there's any takers :) -that is not an unserious offer!

Glad you brought up the casters that's why I asked - I think its close to 400lbs and the floor is bamboo that stuff is very soft.

The dudes that moved it last time were far larger than I. Took two of them - it'd say it'd take 4 of me.

I have lifted (with help) my 75 gal tank and stand with sump in bottom of stand onto two heavy duty rolling platforms and moved it across the room with no problems. I did remove a good amount of the water but left rock, sand, coral..everything intact.
Was actually very easy.

The other option for your move is to get 2 sheets of masonite and lay them over your bamboo to protect it. Then buy 2 or 3 dollies at Harbor freight and set the tank on that. If you don't want to lift, put it on a box on the dollies.

I'd looked at the lift tables - kinda where the idea came from.
But I was thinking I'd need to support the entire tank which is 63 x 22 which would mean making a top for the lift table, creating an adjustable version of what I was thinking about building in the first place basically.

Like the Masonite idea -I was going to put that on the top anyway to facilitate sliding (the Elos stand is similarly covered) - so I'll already have the materials.

And the moving dolly's too - that simplifies my construction. - probably cheaper that casters and I already have one I believe.

Extra set of brains always helps! I have the confidence to proceed with this plan. I'm sure I can build it for less than 250.

If you can build something for $250,definitely go with that.
You know best about, where you have to move it,how far and if it needs to be lowered for cleaning or not.

Ended up that the movers came and lifted it down. So now she sits as I wait to hear from Elos / Coralvue about the glue to fix the tank.

Back