Run external skimmer in-sump?

letoan

Non-member
Anyone running their external skimmer in the sump? Do you need an additional feed pump?

Every thing is going to depend if you are gravity feeding the skimmer or you are using sump water....
bottom line, if you are gravity feeding, (usually) you don't need a pump and if you are planning to use your sump (water) to feed the skimmer then the answer is yes!!

Which skimmer? Just want to caution you, some external skimmer pumps aren't made to be submerged. IMO run it in sump if possible.....less risk of a flood.

Which skimmer? Just want to caution you, some external skimmer pumps aren't made to be submerged. IMO run it in sump if possible.....less risk of a flood.

It's the sro5000ext with bubble blaster 5000 pump.

Every thing is going to depend if you are gravity feeding the skimmer or you are using sump water....
bottom line, if you are gravity feeding, (usually) you don't need a pump and if you are planning to use your sump (water) to feed the skimmer then the answer is yes!!

I'll try the gravity method by t off the inlet, hope it's enough juice to feed the skimmer. Thanks.

I'd say yes On a feed pump. You could always try it with out for a min and see what it does. You could also contact the octopus people I'm sure they would have an answer.

Gravity feeding can be kind of tricky to keep consistent. Probably best to run a dedicated feed pump, or T off of the main return pump.

Tried the t from inlet, doesn't work too well, water from overflow are not constantly at the same rate.

I have an extra mag 3, I'll feed it with it.

Another question. Can the skimmer outlet be submerge completely under the water, just trying to reduce some bubbles.

Thanks everyone

By "inlet" do you mean drain from the tank/inlet to the sump? If so, that's what I meant as well.

You may have to tinker with the depth of the outlet from the skimmer, IME this will vary from skimmer to skimmer, but with at least some skimmer designs having the entire outlet submerged can cause a lot of problems in keeping the skimmer running smoothly and will definately cause issues if the depth fluxuates (meaning not having an ATO and or a dedicated skimmer section with baffles that keep a consistent water depth for the skimmer)

In some cases where the outlet is something along the lines of a gate valve and then a down turned elbow, you can replace the elbow with a T so that output is vented to the air above, and this will make it act as if it werent' submerged.

As always, pics of what you are dealing with would help a lot in troubleshooting :)

Gravity feeding can be kind of tricky to keep consistent. Probably best to run a dedicated feed pump, or T off of the main return pump.
Hey John, I gonna have to disagreed and agree with you on this.
If your are gravity feeding the skimmer you know how much water is coming into the skimmer!! if you have a dual overflow, you got half of the pump output going to your skimmer, and as long your return pump is performing well (as it should be) you will have the same constant flow of water through the skimmer.
Now, with a dedicated feed pump, yes you are right, you will always have the same amount of water going to your skimmer.
BUT if you don't maintain you pumps does not mater what you are using, you will not get the resold you are looking for.
ether way, gravity feed will save you money!

Gustavo

Back