Sad Looking Torch

MFreef

Non-member
Well I woke up this morning to find my torch coral fully recessed into its skeleton.. It looks as if maybe something has benn dinning on it(peppermint shrimp?) there were pieces of tentacles on the sand bed and there is some brown looking junk on it (dead tissue?) doesnt look like any algae Ive seen. It didnt want to come out too much yesterday either. Im kind of at a loss here It has been in the tank for about two months without problem.
Water parameters;
Ammo--0
Calcium--480
PH--8.2
Trites--0
Trates--5
DKH--8
Temp--77
SG--1.023
Temp,dkh, ph,and SG have been stable (no spike that I have caught) I use RO/DI water for top off and changes--I just dont want to lose any other coral..

Attachments

• torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 158
Could be a brown jelly infection, I think there might be a thread on it if you use the search function. Terrible disease :(

ok took the turkey baster blew him off and scrubbed with the tooth brush..the browns gone but so is most of the torch I think he is a total loss..
and to boot my daughters mad at me now (she picked it out)

That's exactly what happened to me! My daughter bought it for me one father's day with her own money. She was like 12 at the time.

She swore never to buy another coral again.

there are some green tips left in the skeleton but nothing is extending out..
what are the chances of recovery..or should I just get a new one?

If there is some flesh left, and all the brown is gone, there is a chance it will come back.

If you see more brown jelly make sure you take it out to blow it off because it can spread to other corals.

Back