Salifert amino acids

Michael Mota

Non-member
I just picked up some of this Salifert Amino Acids cause I am thinking of using it. Got it at Coral Reef and Jeremy told me it maybe snake oil. I love that guys honesty. Any how got it any ways and i was wondering does anyone use it and if you do do you notice any difference? Have not added it yet but i wanted some input before I try it. I know maybe i should have asked first before buying but it was cheaper to buy it than make another trip to get some.
Thanks

I am under the impression that amino acids will be broken down by water born bacteria before they could do any good for corals. I asked Habib from Salifert many times how it could work and he would answer with basically it just does.

Try it out it won't hurt your tank.

There was quite a thread on it a while back, unfortunately, it degraded a bit into some dirt throwing.

http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=8298&page=2&highlight=acid

Another thread started a bit later and there was (IMHO) some good info in it.

http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=8367&page=2&highlight=acid

Some references to scientific experiments where folks actually measured whether corals could actively take up amino acids (they could, at least three of them, possibly more) or which ones they could synthesize (at least 16 of the naturally occuring 20, but possibly as many as 19/20). Whether adding free amino acids to a tank helps accerate growth/heatlh, I don't know.

Maybe folks can chime in that have continue to use it or that have started using it since that thread and whether they have seen a response.

Ok just want to say thank you all for the info on this subject. I will try this on my own and see what happens. Again thank you

Hey,

I was a part of those threads;)! Jeremy's a good guy like that, and echoed the sentiments of many of us here on the BRS.

Wow. I forgot how testy some people got over the slightest question about dosing AAs!

I hope this thread doesn't meltdown:(...

Matt:cool:

Please I do not want to this thread to get out of hand, definitely not my intension. I was just wondering if any one had tried it and what they thought there results were. Not really looking for scientific facts cause I have done some research on this and well lets just say who knows if this works or not. Jeremy is one guy I respect cause he has been straight forward with me since day one and I have come to realize he really does care about the hobby and tries his best to help you out unlike some other lfs that, well you know what they do. Yes Matt I had seen where you were a part of that original thread. I have decided to try these AA and I will judge for myself if I feel it is worth the money.
Take care

Nor do I

Yeah, I was always pretty bummed about how those threads turned out... I think I blocked them out of my mind, and thus was surprised when the subject was brought up again. I know some people really got hurt:(

As far as I'm concerned, my original opinion in those threads, which I have not wavered from, is that it can't hurt your tank (maybe your wallet) to try them.

Let us know what you observe,

Matt:cool:

Last edited:
Well I can say I tried CombiSan before (even though their was a lot of talk about it a few years back) and I noticed no effect on the corals,clams,etc. Its as if I never even dosed it to the tank. And who knows maybe this will be the same thing. But like you said and I too believe it can't hurt I guess. I will let you know what I think of it from a layman's point of view.
Take care

Back