Salt

plinko60

Non-member
What salt is everyone using for there coral ..... I need to get some more and wanted to see what everyone else is using

I’m using tropic marin pro. I like the low levels of alk in it. I’d pick a salt that goes with the numbers that you keep your tank at.
I agree I was running coralif for a long time but Ca mixes through the roof. Trying to run 8.5-9 alk and 425 Ca

For many years reg instant ocean.. then tried instant ocean reef crystals which is crap. I tried tropic Marin bio-actif... which is not worth the money. Tried reg tropic Marin and just too expensive. So went back to regular io for years again.

But after several years of that I am now using fritz blue box at 55 a case. Good specs. Mixes easy. Would recommend. Otherwise IO

What is tmp going for a bucket now days? At lfs.. or full cost delivered? I could Google it but maybe there is a good cheap source locally? Lots of people using it!

I've tried a few over the years. Instant ocean>reef crystals>tropic marine>aquaforest>red sea. Pretty much in that order. Out off all of those, red Sea in the blue bucket has been the most consistent salt for me and I've been using it for the past two years.

Bulk reef supply has two good episodes on its tv channel comparing the popular salts across a few different categories. Mixing results, how volatile it is when stored, cleanliness when mixed etc. if you watch that and then think about your own husbandry you’ll get to at least your top two salts that work for you. As mentioned, the way you keep your tank and the salt you do WCs with should be working hand in hand. Lastly, look at what you can get locally or if you’re comfortable ordering it online.... that’s a big factor cause your cost comes into play. Try to buy in bulk!

I talked with Adam from Battlecorals last week and he uses tropic Marin classic..... by the pallet! We should do a TMP group buy.

What is tmp going for a bucket now days? At lfs.. or full cost delivered? I could Google it but maybe there is a good cheap source locally? Lots of people using it!
1st time order through Petco is 30% off. I paid $79.15 for a 200 gallon bucket.

Don't over think it.
Use the salt that is convenient to you and what you can afford.
On a smaller system, if you want to go fancy, go for it. But large system, I wouldn't go broke on salt. Stick to the one with consistency and you'll be fine.
I wouldn't lose sleep over a salt brand that is a little low on ALK, CA, or MG. The water change percentage you should be doing will not affect your overall system parameters in any meaningful way.
For example a 10% waterchange will affect your ALK this much using salt that is presumeably low at 6dKH and you keep your tank at 9dKH.
(9*0.9+6*0.1)=8.7dKH. This is well within your test kit tolerance and will likely be even out with your dosing or ca reactor.
I've been using IO for all the above reasons. Weekly 10% water change and a ca reactor is all I do.

Back