Screen tops on tanks? Necessary?

JoelA

Returning Reefer
Hi,

I've seen screen tops on reef tanks in several photographs. Obviously there to keep fish in. How have folks experience been with this and do you think it is on balance a benefit? What materials are folks using?

Thanks,

I've made my own screens using materials from bulk reef supply and home depot. BRS screening material is clear and has not had a negative impact on my lighting. As for whether its necessary or not, I think it depends on what fish you want to keep. I have several fairy wrasses and a tile fish - for me its absolutely necessary!! If I didn't have these fish, then I might not have the screens, but even clowns and watchman gobies have been known to take a leap. For me, its better safe than sorry :)

I just ordered a screen kit from brs. I paid 44.99 with group buy discount. One side of me Didn't feel too good about it because its such cheap materials but then again isn't that how everything in this hobby works. The other side of me knows its the right move. If one of your fishies jumps it probably won't make it. Now you've lost your fishy whose probably at least the 50$ and you want that screen bad now which is another 50$. I would get the screen.

I had egg crate on mine...diffused too much light for my led fixture. Took it off and so far so good...no jumpers. It's been over a yr...

As mentioned above, depends on the kind of fish you have. Unless you don't mind carpet jumpers and wasting money then go topless. :)

Some fish are prone to jump, others run to the surface to get away from bullies, etc. etc.

Screen in Lowes is a lot cheaper.

Unless Lowe's has something I didn't see their screen (and Home Depots) is too small/tight, not to mention black/silver/gray, to be of much use covering a tank. Also, some of it's metallic and will probably rust.

I think the ideal size is the 1/4" BRS clear screen. Small enough to keep most fish in, but big enough to not block any light. I say most fish, because even with screens on my old 120G DT I had a really small Yasha Goby jump through a hole and out onto the floor where it perished.

as stated above, most fish jump....avoid uneeded frustaration and make a screen top. I use white plastic screen fitted into a standard black window screen frame and it works perfect for me.

If you know the fishies you have are jumpers... YES, a top is a good idea!

[video=youtube;7kl2K8eIYKA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kl2K8eIYKA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I had an Anthias jump under the sofa when I took the top off for feeding and a week ago my Yellow Coris Wrasse jumped and lifted the mesh top while I was staring at the tank!

If you have jumpers, YOU NEED A TOP! Unless you are willing to come home to carpet/floor surfers. In my case, there wouldn't be any. My Dog Stewie wouldn't leave any witness!!!! :p

Good Luck!!!

Higor

All my tanks are covered, even those that house "non-jumpers". Any fish can jump when given a reason, so not worth it to keep a tank uncovered. But +1 on the BRS clear mesh. Doesn't affect light, didn't look bad, and wrasses bounce right off!

On a side note my Pintail Fairy Wrasse jumped out of my 125 as soon as I opened the lid for feeding tonight. Obviously I was right there, so back in the tank it went. Point is, don't ever keep wrasses in an uncovered tank!

If you going to keep any kind of wrasse, a screen is a must. Like the others said, all fish can jump.

Before the mesh screens, my dog or cat were usually the first to find the jumpers :(

On a similar note, what are people's thoughts on glass tops rather than screen? I use them on all my freshwater tanks and they're awesome; essentially zero evaporation. However, I do realize that you also don't have much in the way of any heat dissipation, but I'm planning on running a tank with relatively low heat production (LEDs with maybe a touch of T5s) and tank is in a room that stays fairly cool year round, so maybe this could work? This would REALLY cut down on the amount of topping off necessary. I welcome any comments on screen tops vs. glass tops, etc.

Glass cuts out UV wavelength light. Someone with more tech info than me will have to answer whether glass reduces the deep blue and violet wavelengths we want for corals but I bet it does. Plus you'll be spending a lot of time cleaning salt creep.

is egg crate enough to keep a firefish in? It has something like 1/2" grid. I need the egg crate to keep my cat out, but can add screen on top if needed. need I?

most serious fishing places will keep netting in at least a couple of different sizes, some of them will have it available by the yard. it can be had in both nylon braid and fishing line kind so it would be almost invisible.

I would also be interested in what you guys think of glass tops, I have them and despite of having just the sump not covered I am already loosing about 3/4 of a gallon to evaporation every day, ...
not sure how they affect the lighting

is egg crate enough to keep a firefish in? It has something like 1/2" grid. I need the egg crate to keep my cat out, but can add screen on top if needed. need I?

No, egg crate is not sufficient unfortunately. What happens is they will jump right through and then not be able to get there way back into the tank, drying up on too of the egg crate :( 1/4" clear mesh is the way to go IMO.

I would also be interested in what you guys think of glass tops, I have them and despite of having just the sump not covered I am already loosing about 3/4 of a gallon to evaporation every day, ...
not sure how they affect the lighting

Most people won't use Glass top for a few reasons (except for very specific reasons/purposes). Top of my head I can think of 3...

1- Unless you keep the glass squeaky clean free of salt creep and moisture (almost impossible IMO) 100% of the time, it will affect lighting.
2- Not good for water surface "Gas Exchange"
3- Heat Issues in the tank

If the only issue you are having is water evaporation, it might do more harm than good using a Glass Top. I have used a glass top before, but haven't in a while now. BRS Clear mesh is a much better solution and cheap http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1768/.

I have never used Egg Crate myself to keep fish in, but I have read it could block some light going into the tank. I think the unappealing look of it would be enough to keep me away from it :);)

Higor

Back