Sea World Salem NH...

I have noticed a subtle but large improvement lately. The store is brighter and cleaner. The SW section has some smaller reef displays with realistic stock for that size tank and with nice coral layout. I've noticed the change the past several times I visited and it makes sense now that I hear about a management change.

I went there and got two baby oscars, and was wondering about another fish, i knew the name and they had one in albino and girl i think amanda i dont know kept calling it a eel its was a bichir(freshwater) and she wanted to sell it for the albino price, And the two oscars died from a skin infection two days later. and now all my fish in tank died. I know i should i quarn them but i didnt. WILL not buy another animal from them again.

I was in two weeks ago with my daughter and we went through all areas and everything looked fine. The Blue and gold I saw there was fine but it could have been a different one. Most of the birds were out and about and they all seemed great -- I have 6 birds myself so I did look closely. I had a chat with Marc about the elegance coral thread and about how he gets himself in trouble with his phrasing of things! I bought a beta for my 8 year old daughter and he is doing fine. All of the tanks were clean. I saw a lot of healthy fish and the corals overall looked fine. The only thing that looked off was a yellow gorgonian that was flat on the sand but its polyps were extended. Chris was there and he was very nice and helpful. Maybe things are improving. It's heart breaking to see animals being ill treated but it looks to me like they are really trying to improve based on prior reports. I personally left happy.

Hello again everybody, first of all i would like to start off saying that seaworld pet center is once again becoming the best place to go for pet supplies. Just like Chris L. stated earlier there is a knew owner now and the store has been improving in my opinion drastically, the public may not think so but there has been major improvements. Now moving on to the saltwater department. We as a department, myself, chris, and marc (we are the primary employees of that department) are all trying our best to be the best we could be. like i have always said before, at times the store can get very busy and we cannot devote the most amount of time for every person that comes in, we have to find a happy medium. As far as bringing in new, smaller nano types of fish like chris L has stated prior to this reply, we are slowig getting more and more of them in. Unfortunately, the summer time is the slowest point of the season so we cannot be getting in every type of fish in the store for sale. we are slowly getting a wider range of fish in along with coral. myself and marc are trying to get more types of SPS corals into the store along selling our normal softies, LPS, polyp, mushroom displays. i understand the store i work for has never really been liked by a lot of people on this website, we are changing and i would strongly suggest everyone try giving us another shot. To let all you reefers know, we will be getting in a coral in this week (8/30).

Thanks for your efforts

I have bought several corals at SW when they were on sale. The three head (now four) yellow torch coral I bought for $30 is awesome. My opinion is this: I like Chris, he is really a nice guy but some of their prices are just way too high, even higher than that other reef store Edited out references to other stores. Keep it about the store in the Title. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as our prices goes, i know we are generally higher on some things, but you also have to remember compared to some other LFS that are smaller than us we have a much larger store with a lot more employees with a greater operating cost. i dont like our prices on somethings either but i can understand why some things are more money. But in the end it is your money and do with it what you want. i would just like to encourage all the people here on the BRS that hate seaworld to try giving us more of your business because we are changing.

So, went to SW to get a new dog dish (they have a great selection) and couldn't resist just peeking in the SW dept. Much to my surprise, everything looked much better. Definately a change from before. So, I spot a couple of fish that my favorite LFS didn't have, and against my better judgement, I get them. Get the fish home and start to acclimize, but one dies almost immediatley, still in the bag. I call SW the first thing in the morning. I explain the situation and they tell me to come down and talk to the manager. Long story short, they replaced the fish, no hassle and the new fish is doing great.
Nice of them to replace the fish despite the no-warranty on SW fish policy. I'm willing to give them a second chance. I was one of their very first customers when they opened years ago, but got disallusioned over time, poor service being the number one factor. The high prices didn't bother me too much as I understand what it takes to run a storefront operation, so I'm willing to pay just a bit more. Also for the first time in recent memory, someone actually asked me if I needed help.

sea world is effin sweet in my book. freshwater section is beautiful and really well maintained. Tricia is awesome, she was in there on her day off and actually spent twenty min getting a very large pink coral lobster out of a deco from the tank just because i wanted to see it. I then purchased it mostly because it was beautiful but a little bit because of her awesome efforts. Shes definatley a character. Id rather buy from someone with spunk who tells you like it is rather than someone who lies just to get you to buy a fish. I can see why SW is top rated. Awesome service and great store.

Oh, and the Taco Bell... Amazing! haha

that and the army barracs across the street.

Last edited:
I have always had good to excellent service at Seaworld. I was just there last week and an employee (who I didn't catch his name, sorry) talked to my husband and myself for at least 15 minutes about what would be the best blenny or goby for our tank. And you gotta love the BRS discount :D

Went this weekend for a canopy and lo and behold they had an older model and in the finish i needed "OAK"!!! and it wasn't one of the cheaper panel ones... they took it down and opened it without any attitude or hesitation and even gave me a deal because of it being an older model.. personally i like the fact that it flips up from the front instead of the modern flipping of the top! thanks again!

Text refering to non-fish or saltwater organisms has been removed as per the forum rules.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19839

well heres my 2 cents...i go there alot

...the sw dept i think can use better employees..the only person there that really knows anything is chris..ive been there at different times differnet points in the week whenever i need to get anything..ive been there with chris(knows what he is doing) the other people that work in that dep seem a bit lost..they have no idea where some products are either...

tanks do look better..but comeone they have like 10 banded sharks in one tank stuffed with frags

and two cali rays in one of their smaller tanks

Last edited by a moderator:
just to clarify, the banded sharks all hatched at once which is not typical, but at least this way i can make sure they are eating before they go home and have a better survival rate. all of our tanks are about 80 gallons a piece and the rays are small. but try to remember we are not a permenant home for these animals but a temperary stop .
we have made many changes and are continuing to do even more to make the conditions better for the fish.
as far as employees not knowing where some things are, you are correct but only because we are bringing in alot of new products so the department is in a stake of fluctuation. it will settle down shortley and i hope everyone is happier to find better selection

I frequent SW a few times per month. I like to stop in and see what's new and get a couple of things for my fish or fido. Anyway, here is my thoughts for what they are worth. During the day the fish dept. (especially SW) is lax on help and that's only because their go to people come in after 4pm. They are part time help but know the hobby. You are better served going there in the ealry evening on weekdays or on Sat or Sun anytime.

I was at seaworld this past weekend and walked up to a tank full of lionfish with the top of the tank totally exposed for any kid to walk up to the tank and reach inside the tank to touch the nice little fish and end up getting stung.I said something to and employee and he said that it was not a problem.Even as a newbie to this hobby even i know that it was a problem.

I was in Seaworld last week and I notice the improvement in product line and the tanks are looking way better. It takes time to change things and I think Chris is bustin hump to make SW a better LFS for all of us.

Doesn't anyone ever have anything positive to say? Geeez!!!

Ray I agree wholeheartedly on this. Chris is doing an excellent job turning this place around and providing good customer service. I was just there today and Chris explained mh lighting to me and its' advantages/cons. He took the time to do this as he was in the middle of changing out a 65 gal. tank. SW is becoming (inmho) a reliable LFS once again.
Brian

So i ended up making my rounds yesterday to the Salem, NH area to check out a few LFS's. I made my way to Sea World and asked one of the guys who was busy to help me out when he got a chance. Rather then me waiting he pulled Chris off of whatever he was doing and he came right over and helped me. Answered all my questions knowledgibly and took all the time i needed to make me feel comfortable with my purchase. Tanks looked stocked with fish and inverts and i was very pleased with the service.

i think i finally met chris who helped me out alot this past week. I have a bunch new coral and i wanted some different foods to feed them. spent like 30 min talking to me about frozen food lol

to be honest i wish he was there all the time

I have been up to Seaworld a few times. My kids and I like the store because you can walk around and see all the animals (Fish, Birds, Dogs, and even an aligator). At one point they had a turtle that walked around there but its gone now.

The last time I went by I was looking for copepods, the one person I talked to looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for them. Finaly I found someone who knew what I was asking for and told me they did not have them.

I agree that they seem to have a lot of dead fish in the tanks when I went up there, makes looking at the fish very unappealing, especially for the kids.

I also did some price shopping and they seem a bit expensive, so except for it being a nice free zoo to visit I don't think I would purchase anything up there.

John

Back