sexing clowns

jebar777

Scott Stalter
BRS Member
is there a way to tell what sex a ocellaris clown is besides size. i baught a very small pair about 3 months ago and now one of them is starting to get darker on the top than the other there isnt much of a size diffrence, and its kinda hard to tell with them moving all the time. but i was wondering of the one getting darker meant anything. also dose anyone have a site about raising clown fry, tank setup, feeding, lighting, etc...

tia

scott

they all start out male. If theyre small, theyre still both male. If one is changing colors, chances are thats the one thats thinking about becoming female;.

Greg Hiller could help you there, Scott You need food for the babies once they hatch. You could also consult with Jeremy @ Coral Reef. He raises them as well.

i was on reef central there is a couple nice threads on there. i think i may have a go at trying to get a rot culture going. a little diy project...lol

i think if i can get the rots to survive then i may have a chance when and if they lay eggs

Scott, Take your time & enjoy the hobby. I'll fill you in on the pros & cons of raising them. (as I've been told by people who have)

Odds are it will take around a year for them to start producing eggs, so no rush. The female will usually have a dramatic size increase months beforehand and the male will have noticeable behaviour changes. He will usually have marks on his face from cleaning a spot on the rockwork for her to lay them. Even if you do miss the first batch, with ocellaris they lay very consistently and frequently like every two weeks, so you won't miss much.

Back