Shielded Reflector Question

sdesi2005

Non-member
I just purchased (2) ROIII with the BlueWave VII dual HQI ballast. I used Sanjay's website to plot the difference between using this type of bulb/ballast combo in both a shielded and unshielded applications.

The plots for the two options had very different outputs. It seems as though you lose significant output (I have heard in the vicinity of 6-8% through the tempered glass shield provided with these fixtures. I have also read about the possiblity of changing to Starfire glass instead ( I heard the loss is reduced to <2%). Does anyone have any experience with this? Does Starfire glass provide the UV qualities of regular tempered glass?

I would love to run these reflectors without the glass but, salt buildup ruins the reflective qualities of the aluminum.

Don't run without the glass, whatever you do. The UV will kill things fast. I know from 1st hand experience, a mogul bulb's outer shield cracked..not pretty.

Interesting idea to run with starfire glass. I imagine it would have to be 'tempered' starfire, if such a thing exists. I kind of doubt there would be that much benefit, but who knows. Good quesiton for Sanjay. I bet anything he's been asked before.

I'm sure you could have a piece of the Starfire cut and tempered to fit in the reflector, I just wonder if it would still have the same UV benefits and if the PAR rating would increase noticeably

Sanjay,

>A question came up the other day on our web site. Any advantage to
>using Starfire glass for the glass shield in an double ended
>fixture? Any significant increase in light transmitted?

You may get a slight increase in light transmitted.. but not really
worth the cost.. you can get the same effects by keeping the glass
clean and lowering the lights slightly.

I believe ROIIIs come with low-e glass. Wouldn't switching to Starfire also increase the amount of IR (heat) allowed to pass?

Back