Question on MH reflector coverage

sagecx

Non-member
I am looking at covering a 3'x2' Tank with one 250w MH. From what i have read the Lumenarc 3 full size will definetly cover it. But they are rather bulky so i am hoping to find something a bit smaller like the lumenarc mini or something. Also The lumenmax seems to be another good way to go. Basically i an open to suggestions and experiences

Curious about the lumenbrights as well although I have heard they are more for depth and not spread.

I hear you on the bulky, I have 2 lumenarc 3's I just posted for sale as they wont fit in my hood :( Good luck with your project.
Bill

I have a lumenarc mini I ran over a 36" tank for a while. It worked well, but you could notice the light level drop off at the ends some. Works well if you have some lower light corals that will be happer on either end, but not a perfectly even spread. I don't think single lamp will give even coverage over 36".

If you're interested in the mini It's for sale...

Sad to hear about the mini not giving full coverage. That means i am probably looking at a lumenarc or lumenmax. Anyone have any experience with the lumenbrights they at least have a nicer appearance

It's not that any of the above won't light the whole tank up, they all will, it's just that all of the above will light a 3' tank a little unevenly. A full size lumenarc will get a little more even spread across the 3', but it will also be pouring light out in front and in back of the tank. The limitation is really that no single point source of light will evenly spread out over 3'. Even a 400W will have the same effect, brighter in the middle, dropping off on the ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that is really the problem a single source isnt the most effective way. Now i do plan on adding t5 supplements which will help the edges a bit but then its the edges are heavily T5.

Also like you mention the full size lumenarc will have a lot of light pouring out the front and back. I dont care about the back but the front means more cleaning the glass.

John was it fairly noticeable the shadows on the end? or more just a better place for zoas,lps and such?

John was it fairly noticeable the shadows on the end? or more just a better place for zoas,lps and such?

It was pretty noticable, but not necessarily unpleasant to look at. It's a single point source of light, so think of it as a cone shaped light projecting into a rectangular shaped tank. You get really cool 3D shimmer lines, but the light is obviously brighter in the center compared to the ends. In a "dynamic environment" sort of way, it looks way cooler than an evenly lit tank, but if you like evenly lit tanks it doesn't look so cool :) . Very subjective, hard to describe without seeing the different lighting effects in person....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for some comparison:

I am using three of the cheapo ($40) aquacave retrofit halide reflectors for my new 72" 125g tank. Coverage seems to be perfect for that size tank and gives me extra room to toss in a couple rows of T5 supplements. The reflectors are quite nice actually and work well. For a 3'x2' tank though, I am sure a single reflector of that type would not cover. It seems better suited in a canopy placed maybe 6-10" off the water, and covers a 2'x1.5' area very well.

So.. aiming for a reflector with somewhat larger dimensions for wider spread and a bit better reflectivity certainly seems like a good choice.

I run 2 lumenmax elites on my 90 and I dont think they will cover the area you want without a drop off in performance. I would say they are good for 2x2 coverage at about a 10-12" height.

Back