Should I increase my T5's to 6 bulb?

jdeb101

Non-member
For years I've had 4 T5 bulbs running over my 40 gallon breeder. Over the summer I picked up a Tek Light Elite 6 bulb fixture. Heres what I'm working with:

Bulb setup from back to front:
ATI Blue+
ATI Blue+
ATI Purple+
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue+
ATI Blue+

2 outer bulbs on @ 2PM
2 outers off and 4 inners on @ 2:30 PM
4 inners off and 2 outers on @ 10:00 PM
2 outers off @ 11:00 PM

So what I'm thinking is having all 6 bulbs on from 2:30 - 10:00. Whats everyone's thoughts? Will it cause more harm than good? More algae?

All my corals do ok healthwise. Growth isn't huge, but its there. I'm thinking of doing this for the coral colors to pop more than anything else. Also note that I'm running a mixed reef tank, mostly LPS/Softies, and a couple SPS.

If you do suggest I increase the lighting, what would be the best/safest way to do this?

im run 6 bulbs on my 40b as well.
2 outside from 12:00pm-11:00pm
4 others from 3:00pm-9:00pm
havent really had my tank up and running for too long so i'm afraid i dont have any advice to give.
Very intrested in feedback from others as well tho.

OT: how high do you have your light off the water surface?

I have the exact same ATI bulb setup on my 120g and it works for me. I also love the color.

I have the exact same ATI bulb setup on my 120g and it works for me. I also love the color.

Good to know, maybe I should upgrade my tank to a 120? :p But since my tank is a lot shallower, do you think I should just leave light schedule as is?

Back