sick fish help - possibly swim bladder problem

Ellabug

Non-member
My red velvet fairy wrasse (large, previously healthy, and established for over a year in my tank) is on death's door and I am wondering if there is anything I can do. He started going down hill last week - not eating as well (then not at all), hiding more, swimming as if he wasn't steady on his feet (now totally upside down and when he swims he just goes in circles). He's breathing heavily, keeps clenching his fins, and is totally upside down. He shows NO SIGNS of ich, injury, flukes, etc. My best guess is severe swim bladder problems. I've fed him a steady diet of frozen mysis and marine cuisine, and he would voraciously eat nori sheets that I put up for the tang - swim bladder problems related to constipation are usually from flake or pellet food, which he has never been fed, so I'm not sure if this is constipation related or due to something else. I currently have him in a breeder box inside my aquarium and plan to move him to QT tonight. I have furan-2 and maracyn II on hand, as well as prazipro. Does anyone have ideas for treating swim bladder problems? (Peas are out of the question - he's not eating right now). I'm thinking of trying maracyn II and possibly prazipro simultaneously. Any other suggestions or advice?

I haven't had to deal with a sick fish in awhile but I would probably put him in a QT and use a broad spectrum medication. Hopefully others have a better answer for you.

I moved him home and into a treatment tank tonight, and started a maracyn/maracyn II combo treatment. He died about 4 hours into treatment. RIP little buddy.

Back