QT TANK SETUP. help sick fish????

Ecsurfer76

Non-member
20 long under my display with tunez 6065 heater coral life t5 and a small fluval filter gotta get 10#s or so of live rock and 20 gallons of pre mixed saltwater from lfs.Then use the new water for WC in my diplay tank and remove 20gallons of my water to put in tje QT tank. Will this be ok??? Opinions. Note I have to get my blue Hippo out I am pretty sure he has a parisite. Looks lile it my be ich.Keeps rubbing him self on the rocks I pretty sure he has one maybe two lil spots on him under the belly. What ya think??????? He is still a baby only 1 1/2 long.The blue damseles look ok and so does the yellow tang sofar. Guess soaking the frozen brine in garlic ectract is next.

Sounds like you need to setup a hospital tank and not a QT tank. If so, I would recommend nothing but a heater and a sponge filter (seeded from the display if possible) and some PVS for him to hide in. you don’t want anything else in there because you are going to do the treatment – if you decide to use copper (cupramine) then everything in your hospital tank is no longer reef safe (including the tank). If you use hypo then make sure you keep this steady.

Since this tank is not established, you will need to monitor and control ammonia through freshly mixed water changes……do not use tank water after your initial fill.

Let us know which treatment you’re using assuming you’ve identified this as ich.

Doesn't look like its to bad yet.Not wanting to use copper if I can keep from it. I have the tank setup parameters are ok sofar only been two hours. Water was added from my fuge and a mixe of rodi as my 55g ATO was kicking on as I added water to tje QT tank.I stopped at 1/3 and added the new SW to my main system trying to level out and replace what I just absorbed for the new tank.Couldnt sponge yet.I have a phosban sponge in between baffles in fuge right now.will take it out later and add it to tje tank will that work?

If he has some ich then he has ich so I wouldn't try to justify a lot or a little. The question is whether or not you're going to treat him. Putting him in the QT and not treating him is just adding a lot of unnecessary stress. If you're hoping he pulls through then leave him in the display unless he is getting picked on. Feed him nori and fat/vitamin laced food and hope for the best. Since he is a baby, then he can possibly pull through although the ich will always be in your tank. Since there are also other fish in the tank they have ich too so unless you're treating them then you're hoping for the hippo to grow strong enough to fight off the ich.

Up to you.

***If you decide to treat instead of manage.

All your fish have to go in that "hospital"tank.They need to be treated with either copper or hyposalinity.(please read up)
The display will have to remain fishless for 6-8 weeks.
Sorry for the bad news.But this is why a QT tank should be the first thing set up,even before the disply.
A lot of us have made the same mistake when we were new to this.Also,no rocks in the hos. tank.
If you have to treat,and you will,rocks are no good.Use PVC fitting for the fish to hide behind,also you need a bare bottom.
Again,please read up or you will be wasting valuable time and energy for nothing.

*also,IMO,garlic does nothing.There's plenty of garlic smelling fish that have been flushed throughout the years.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. So I have a QT tank setup under my display cab.20 long with hang on carb filter and a heater with tunez for water movement and a coral life t5 light. Sofar parms are good. Now should I add them to tje tank or just leave i n display and try to treat whole tank.LFS has a suposide reef safe solution that I have never seen or heard of. He says its safe. Bt I have no corals yet just clean up and fish.So what to do 50 dif op and 50 dif treatments. Guess I leave them in and hope to cure with the lfs stuff or put in qt tank and copper them.lol this sucks right now. Funny how suddenly these guys are like your kids.I want to do what ever I have to to save them.

Let me guess,Ruby Reef's Kick-Ich?
As far as I know,there's no reef safe ich treatments that work.
You could try doing hyposalinity in the display if you have no corals or inverts.
But,you need to have a refractor before even attempting it.

The crabs and snails would prob survive it but thats a prob. No def. So I guess I will be putting 5 blue damseles and a yellow tang along with the hippo in a 20g long hospital tank. Gonna run get some pvc elbows for them to hide in..shoeeeeeee. this sucks alot right now.

Make sure that QT is actually cycled, adding water from the display doesn't necessarily do the trick. Also, as Bob aka stringy said, don't count on anything "reef safe" to actually work because it won't.

You have 5 blue damsels?::
You do know they are wicked aggressive right?
And in a 20 long,prepare for some fish deaths from territory fighting.

Read the sticky's. There is no reef safe medication that is proven to work. Its either hypo or copper (preferably cupramine). The 20l is not ideal either but if it is the best you got then you'll have to deal with it.

With the uncycled tank you'll need to adjust for ammonia daily via water changes and if you use copper you'll need to make sure the concentration is set each time.

From the sounds of it you are not ready to treat these fish - 7 fish that include 2 tangs are going to ruin the water quality of your hosptial tank really fast.

I keep 2 sponges in my tank at all times incase a need like this arises - if you weren't so far away I would give you one - maybe you can find a local reefer with a seeded sponge to help but ideally a large tank or more smaller tanks would be best.

Ok so heres another idea...why cant I take my 20long aka hospital tank and leave the light on throw in a page of seaweed het some algae growth going.Then try to get all the snails I can out of my display tank. So they would survive in the Qt tank while I hypo my display tank with all the fish in it. Then after a few weeks or so if it seems it worked raise the salinity slowly and get the snails back in there after everything is back to norm?????? Would this work or not?

Ya but most all tanks have the parasite. Its just weather or not its managed. Depends on if it exposes itself.

Back