Skimmer help

Brewmaster

Non-member
I installed my skimmer tonight that I bought from another brs member and no foam.

I have the AquaC EV180 with a mag 7 pump. It is installed in sump and the water level in the sump is below the gate valve on thie skimmer.

I understand there is a break in period for new skimmers but should I be seeing foam tonight on a used skimmer?

Thanks,
Jim

A good way I use to test a skimmers foam abilities is to change the micron pad or filter sock, it usually makes the skimmer go nuts and foam like crazy. Fwiw I just added live rock yesterday to a "new" tank and my tunze nano skimmer is already pulled about 50ml skim after having emptied 3 250ml cups and turning it all the way down.

Did you clean the injectotor before you set it up?

How is it setup do you have any plumbing after the gate valve?

How high is the water level and is the air valve open and clean?

Did you clean the skimmer before setting it up? Vinegar or something like that?

A short explanation of what the skimmer s doing might help too

Did you clean the injectotor before you set it up?

How is it setup do you have any plumbing after the gate valve?

How high is the water level and is the air valve open and clean?

Did you clean the skimmer before setting it up? Vinegar or something like that?

A short explanation of what the skimmer s doing might help too

I did not clean the injector
I rinsed the skimmer with water only.
There is no plumbing after the gate valve.
The water level is just under the bottom of the foam tower and the air valve is closed.

The water at the bottom of the foam tower resembles boiling water.

Last edited:
Because it's used doesn't mean it's "broken in". It needs to break in to your water conditions. :D

I did not clean the injector
I rinsed the skimmer with water only.
There is no plumbing after the gate valve.
The water level is just under the bottom of the foam tower and the air valve is closed.

The water at the bottom of the foam tower resembles boiling water.

If the air valve is closed there will be no foam. Have you tried opening the air valve? You want it open to the point that the bubbles are still small. You will hit a point when you are opening it when the bubbles start to get larger and break. You really should clean the becket injector as this can dramatically decrease the amount of air it can draw. I use to have to clean mine weekly on a Precision Marine Bullet. I would also recommend a stronger pump that handles head pressure well. I was using a Panworld 150PS external pump.

Edit: I just looked at this skimmer and am not sure on the actual injector that it uses so my advice may or may not work as far as a becket injector. Not sure how you clean this injector.

Last edited:
I opened the air valve and realized there was a jg fitting on the skimmer. I blocked the jg fitting and now have large bubbles breaking.

I would pop they injector out and clean it with a pipe cleaner. The smallest debris will reduce you skimmers performance.

Also try closing the air valve a little to see if that kicks it in. I also find that if you run the AquaC s just below the top of the mixing box that is where they work the best.

I would pop they injector out and clean it with a pipe cleaner. The smallest debris will reduce you skimmers performance.

Also try closing the air valve a little to see if that kicks it in. I also find that if you run the AquaC s just below the top of the mixing box that is where they work the best.

With the gate valve wide open the water level is higher than the mixing box.

With the gate valve wide open the water level is higher than the mixing box.

It is overpowered., but try shutting the air valve a and see if that helps. Otherwise you will have to restrict the pump flow to get the correct height.

I tried shutting the air valve with no luck. The water level goes down a bit but not where it should be. I called proteikimmer.com and they said let it run at that level for a few days and if nothing changed they would send me a new injector, air and gate valve.

As for it being overpowered I'm using their recommended pump that I got with the skimmer:confused:. Would a ball valve in the pump line work?

Not too happy with AquaC skimmers!!!!!:mad:

Did you inspect the injector? is there something wrong with it?

A ball valve would work to ruduce the flow a bit.

Any chance you can get a picture of it running?

Last edited:
I'm going out right now but will try to post a pic on Sat.

The injector looked fine. I'm gonna have to agree with Greg that the pump is too powerful. There is lots of turbulence in the mixing box also.

Thanks for all the replies and hopefully I will get this thing running right soon!!!

Well, I installed a ball valve and got the water level where it should be and still no foam:confused:

I'll be calling AquaC back today for help!

I spoke with Steve at AquaC twice now and they are sending me a new injector. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Jim

I don't agree that its overpowered a mag-7 should be just right for that skimmer. How deep is it in sump, the water level should be a couple of inches below the top of the rectangular base. If the air valve is closed or near closed you will get no bubbles.

Jim

I don't agree that its overpowered a mag-7 should be just right for that skimmer. How deep is it in sump, the water level should be a couple of inches below the top of the rectangular base. If the air valve is closed or near closed you will get no bubbles.

Jim

The water level in the sump is fine and the air valve is wide open.

I installed my skimmer tonight that I bought from another brs member and no foam.

I have the AquaC EV180 with a mag 7 pump. It is installed in sump and the water level in the sump is below the gate valve on thie skimmer.

I understand there is a break in period for new skimmers but should I be seeing foam tonight on a used skimmer?

Thanks,
Jim

What does that skimmer recommend for a pump flow rate?

Totally new break in period if it's been cleaned. Is there tension in the lower foam chamber? If so it may just be break in issues. If not it may be underdriven by either pump issues or too low a pressure rating on the pump.

HTH

Back