Skimmer Issue

Platehead

Non-member
Hi – about 6 months ago, I bought a reef octopus S130 space saver skimmer and I have frequent issues with the collection cup overflowing and draining my ATO reservoir, as I have the skimmate going into a jug, as the collection cup is difficult to remove.

The skimmer is in about 7” of water and I am constantly adjusting it. It either overflows or doesn’t skim at all. I never had an issue with my previous skimmer, but upgraded, as I was told Reef Octopus was a great skimmer.

Any ideas??

thx

What size tank (Total Gallon) is system. Is the skimmer rated for that tank size. I would adjust so that bubbles are at very bottom of neck. Don't worry about if you collect skimate at first. If your producing waste it will form a ring in neck.

If you get waste on the neck great. Then make ever slow adjustments.
You might try adding a shutoff to your skimmate collector.

I have this same skimmer, and I would get the occasional overflow. What I determined to be the issue is whenever, I would change my filter sock, I would get the overflow. To remedy, I would turn off the skimmer for 1/2 a day to allow a film to cover the sock. Once I started doing this, the matter was resolved. Not sure if this is your same issue, but this was mine. Hope this helps.

Yes, water level needs to be between 7-8". So if you are at 7, then you would actually need to lower it a bit if you can.

Get a Lifereef Skimmer and save yourself the headaches. I have never had an overflow issue in 6 years using one

Back