Skimmer problem.need help

twiddledog

Non-member
I have a Euro-reef ES5-2 Skimmer. For some reason all of a sudden it collection cup fills up with water really fast..like 15-20 minutes. I have tried regulating but no matter how I set the riser it just fills up.

Any ideas?

Also, when I plug in the pump it takes a while to kick in and start working....could this have something to do with the bubbles being too wet?

Sounds like the venturi has a clog, not sucking enough air so too much water. When I had a Euro-Reef venturi would get caked with salt.Take off venturi, soak in vinegar overnight to clear. you could boil water in a coffee cup and put the air tube in it to blast it clean as a quick fix. I do this once monthly and totally clean the pump/venturi every 5-6 months.

I have tried cleaning, swapping out pin wheels although they were old and used, adjusting the riser, and swapping out pumps all with no results except the same which is the collection cup rapidly fills with water.
I have no dea why.

I have tried cleaning, swapping out pin wheels although they were old and used, adjusting the riser, and swapping out pumps all with no results except the same which is the collection cup rapidly fills with water.
I have no dea why.

There's really only 3 things that can be happening here.
1.)The water that exits the skimmer is being blocked somehow causing the water to rise in the skimmer body filling the collection cup.
2.)As the others have said.The venturi is blocked and the skimmer body has more water being pumped in than air mixed in.
3.)The tube that brings air to the venturi has a leak below the water line.

I use a small dry wall screw and run it through the venturi on my ASM G2 everytime I dump the collection cup.
Works great and no waiting for it to soak anymore.

I decided to raise the skimmer and pump an inch or so in the sump just to see if that would help and that fixed the problem. Not sure why because nothing has changed in years..but it fixed the problem.

Back