Skimmer Problems

asing

Non-member
This is my first skimmer and I have no idea whats going on with it. The skimmer is an older model Reef Octo 150, on a 75g tank with 20g sump. Skimmer sits in 8 or 9" of water that is a fixed level. Anyways, after about of week of break in it started to pull stuff out of the water. It only did this for a week or so and just stopped. It did not fill the collection cup more than 1/2 way and just stopped pulling. I have tried to adjust the water level using the riser tube but it still is not producing any foam. I know I have stuff in the water to pull. Any ideas?

check the air in take might not be pulling enough air i had that prob my self

Hmmm, I can hear it pullin air, should I take that black thing off the air tube? seems like that thing is pretty restrictive. Thanks for the advice

Check the line and also the venturi where the line connects at the front of the pump(venturi).
On my ASM G2 I need to soak or clean the nipple leading into the venturi with a ring shank nail once in a while.
Check for calcium deposits in that nipple leading into the venturi.

+1 on what everyone said. It is sounding to me like air intake restriction somewhere. Does the air/water mixture inside the skimmer seem to be less white lately? As in seems to have less air bubbles in the mixture than usual? Could also try cleaning the pump up a little bit. If it were used that could certainly be a reason as to it being dirty in the lines.

i broke the nipple leading into the venturi so i drilled it out to fit the tube and it works a lot better and easier to clean i just pull the tube out and clean it. im not saying to drill it out but just telling you what happened to mine. but i like it better and it happened when i was cleaning it had to do it once a week now i never really have to and if i do i just take the tube out and the skimmer just keeps running no shuting it down and taking it out of the sump

Yeah the bubbles dont seem to be like they were when i i first had it up and running. As everyone said its prob a clog somewhere in it. I will try to find some instructions on how to take the pump apart tonight and maybe soak in a vinegar mix over night. Thanks for the replies everyone!

start with just taking some RO water in a cup and put the air line in it it should suck up the water and clean it real fast for you. if it doesnt suck up the water its deff cloged

and of you do that every day or 2 it shouldnt get cloged just the norm 6 month cleaning should be good

I did the water through the airline tubing and it was sucking the water through. It did seem to help with the bubbles in the chamber. Ill see what happens over the next few days. Thanks for the help

Back