Skimmer / Sump Question

jbishop

CIA Agent / Constable
I have a ETSS Evo 500 with an upgraded pump pushing ~950 GPH

Currently I have the sump turnover at ~950 GPH also.

I know the general rule is to match the two, but what if I went slower with the sump turnover lets say ~600 GPH?

Are there any down sides to running the water slower?

TIA

sumps

There are some unbelievable tanks that run only 2x turnover in their sumps and there are unbelievable tanks running 10x turnover.
I have had real high flow and real low flow sumps and seen no difference.
the only thing that seems to respond to too high a flow is the refugiums.
your skimmer will pull the same no matter which one you choose.
you really don't have to match the flows.
also the etss 500 running a 900gph pump only flows aroung 500 gph after the pressure factor.

There are some unbelievable tanks that run only 2x turnover in their sumps and there are unbelievable tanks running 10x turnover.
I have had real high flow and real low flow sumps and seen no difference.
the only thing that seems to respond to too high a flow is the refugiums.
your skimmer will pull the same no matter which one you choose.
you really don't have to match the flows.
also the etss 500 running a 900gph pump only flows aroung 500 gph after the pressure factor.

Thanks for the info. Looks like i am going to run ~600 GPH through the sump.

J I forget if you run a fuge or not (all drugged up on cold meds) but one benefit of running slower GPH through a fuge is that it gives the nitrate exporter (cheato or anything else one would put in a fuge) more contact time with the water so it sucks up more nitrates...

J I forget if you run a fuge or not (all drugged up on cold meds) but one benefit of running slower GPH through a fuge is that it gives the nitrate exporter (cheato or anything else one would put in a fuge) more contact time with the water so it sucks up more nitrates...

Part of the sump is going to have about 20 Gal fuge

This is true.I've heard all kinds of discussion about chaeto needing to roll in the current in a refugium.But my fug. only has about 30-40 gph running through it and I double the chaeto every 2-3 weeks.I just went to a 20L from a 10 gallon in hopes I wont have to trim so often.

Back