skimmers

jebar777

Scott Stalter
BRS Member
so im all set with a pump..... now i need to start thinking about a skimer for the 125. i guess there is a lot of things to consider, in sump - not in sump, recirculation pumps, manufacturer, price.....

what are some of your thoughts and suggestions.

Don't even consider placing a skimmer outside the sump unless it's located in an area you just don't care about, spill over will always be a problem, I don't care what the manufactures claims.

Jim

I have to clean my skimmer cup several times a week and the next skimmer I buy will have a cup that is easier to clean. Mine has corners and a lip which are awkward, even with a paint brush. Just something I neglected to consider when I was researching.

I have a ASM G-2 with the recirc and gate mods.
It also is very easy to clean as my whole hand easily fits into the skimmer cup and riser.If I were in the market for another skimmer I would definitely stick with a recirc model.

I prefer a needle wheel style skimmer over a downdraft because they consume a fraction of the electricity and pump replacement likely costs less.

that was definetly one of the most imortant thi8ngs i was looking for....easy to clean collections cup.... both of the skimmers i have now have corners and are relativley small, even with a tooth brush i cant claen the bottom. i think i like the idea of the needlewheel. which brands use that?

Octopus skimmers are needle wheels. I'm pretty fond of mine, but I think my system has outgrown it.

Installation outside the sump is possible. I put a plastic water heater drain pan (which drains into the sump) under the skimmer.

My big problem was the output from the skimmer into the sump. I didn't want back pressure OR splashing (salt creep). Solution - reverse durso draining from 2" to 3" PVC with double vents.

Now it's golden and VERY stable, with NO filter socks to change out. :)

Back