Slow motion SPS crash

JeanR

BRS Member
My tank has been a complete pain in the butt the last 2-3 months. It is a 90g gallon mixed reef that is about a year old, following an upgrade from a 30g I had for 2 year before that. Many of the corals are 2-3 years old and nice looking colonies.

After the initial ugly tank phase the new tank had been easy and growing coral well. With the upgrade came an 30g sump that has about a third of it as a dedicated refugium (which is suspect is causing the problems). I set the refugium up on a 12/12 cycle with chaeto and mostly didn't bother with it except for weekly siphoning and removing some of the chaeto when overgrown. The Alk/Calc/Mg were pretty solid through 2-part dosing. I didn't really follow NO3 or PO4 closely but when I did they seemed just above zero.

Back in early February I noticed some brown algae-like growth on the sand bed, I assumed it was a little diatom bloom that I attributed to it still being a relatively new tank and needing to mature. I didn't think too much of it and went away for a week in mid-February. When I came back the brown algae had now spread to the rocks and SPS and the LPS were all contracted. I probably took me another 2 weeks to realize it was dinoflagellates with lots of strings and bubbles.

The tank parameters looked pretty good, but I realized my NO3 and PO4 test kits were expired so while they were reading slightly above zero that might not have been accurate. In retrospect I think that my contracted LPS could have been indicating NO3/PO4 were too low (I had noticed the contraction before the Dinos go bad).

A member mentioned that some bad frozen food batches can cause this problem so I stopped feeding frozen for a few weeks- it did not help.

I ordered the Dr. Tims Dinoflagellate kit (black out, re-fresh, waste away) because I figured if it costs $30 and worked it would be great. It cost $30 and did not work. Took a few weeks to figure this out.

I ordered Dino-X and dosed as recommended - it did not work. Took a few weeks to figure this out.

Physical removal and water changes helped, but the Dinos quickly came back in a few days.

Ultimately, thinking too low NO3/PO4 might be the issue, I took most of the chaeto out of the refugium, turned my skimmer off for 2-3 days and let my NO3/PO4 rise.

Now my NO3 is 25ppm and my PO4 is 0.3ppm (got new kits). The LPS is much happier and dinoflagellates are going away (though not completely).

My SPS, however, looks terrible. All the frags I've gotten in the last few months are dead. A few of my colonies are dead, others have lost their color. I am thinking the combination of prolonged Dino stress followed by spike in NO3/PO4. I'm not so surprised to see the acros crashing but am surprised to see the birdsnest wasting away. I always thought they were pretty bullet proof as they survived my first year of reefing when I hadn't figured out dosing or serious reef chemistry. Alk/Ca/Mg are being maintained at good levels (though I did have Alk spike to 14 unexpectedly when I removed coralline from the sump along with the chaeto - was high for a few days before I noticed and now it is back down to 9) .

Not quite sure what to do - any suggestions?

unfortunately i dont think you can do anything but give it time and do weekly water changes. you need to try and keep everything very stable from here on out. you probably will loose more but hopefully you will have some sps left. the other thing you can try is to house the remaining sps in someones you trusts tank until they heal and you get your tank under control.

Sorry to hear about the tank struggles Jean. The low NO3 and PO4 theory makes sense to me. Low nutrients have caused my tank at least one wave of coral death. I

I've struggled with dinos before too, and my overall feeling about them is that patience and a "back to the basics" attitude works the best to get your tank back. This means: religious water changes, rock solid parameters including Alk/Ca/Mg, make sure your RO/DI is working well...As Joker said above, "stable from here on out." I have a theory about my own failures in this area: every time I try something new it adds a new stress and when things are going poorly the temptation is to keep trying new things and it ends up just adding more stress and worsening the situation. That being said, things I did that helped: add a UV sterilizer (the success of this depends of what type of dinos you have) and increasing flow. My experience with chaeto has been good overall, but carbon and phosphate removers (rowaphos, etc) always made things worse for me, so I do agree overall with the idea that low NO3/PO4 is bad, but especially when chemically removed.

Hope things turn around for you soon! What a pain.

Back