Some "Food-safe" Bags Toxic to Fish

wpeterson

BRS Member
In a study recently published in the journal Chemosphere, scientists exposed orchid dottybacks (Pseudochromis fridmani) to two FDA food-grade polyethylene bags sourced from different manufacturers. Dottybacks were also exposed to glass and teflon.
What they found was startling and should concern the aquarium industry.

Dottybacks exposed to one of the polyehylene suffered decreased short and long term survival because the bags were leaching high levels of nonylphenol. The water in the bags accumulated 163ppb nonylphenol within 48 hours, which is 23x higher than the EPA deems safe for marine life (short term exposure). 60% of the test subjects died after 48 hours, and all died within eight days even after being removed from the bags. The researchers measured high body concentrations of nonylphenol in these fish (upwards of 400ppb), indicating this chemical is likely the toxic agent. Furthermore, the resultant toxicity of the bags from each manufacturer varied dramatically.​

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/study-finds-that-plastic-bags-are-toxic-to-fish

The same plastic that was leaching Bisphenol A a while back. Maybe I'll start bringing my own container to the store when next I buy a fish.

Back