Specific gravity readings

wilfx

Non-member
My SG readings have gone from a steady 1.025 down to 1.022 lately. The only thing that has changed is the temp. It has gone from 80 to 78. Not overnight though, this has been over a week or two period. I have one of the inexspensive refractometers. I calibrated it with RO water and it reads zero. I also checked with tap water just for the heck of it. also 0. My refractomneter is a RHS-10ATC. Does the ATC mean Auto temp compensated? Don't understand whats going on.

Test the water and then take the same water and have it tested at a LFS to confirm your refractometer isn't faulty. I've seen faulty ones that needed to be returned.

Yea I would also get that refract checked it doesn't seem like it is working correctly.The only way to lower the SG it is by salt decreasing in the system.......maybe you have LOTS of salt creep?

No salt creep. No overflows. A little salt on the top brace of the tank from evap. But I usually run my finger along the brace and let it fall back in. That doesn't even build up that much. I top off with RO about 2 1/2 gallons every two days. Guess I will have to stop at an LFS! Might need something when I get there!

No salt creep. No overflows. A little salt on the top brace of the tank from evap. But I usually run my finger along the brace and let it fall back in. That doesn't even build up that much. I top off with RO about 2 1/2 gallons every two days. Guess I will have to stop at an LFS! Might need something when I get there!

I would 100% recommend not returning any salt creep to your tank if you can avoid it. The salt concentration in salt creep is definitely something you may want to consider avoiding.

Back