STiTCH87's 40g Breeder Starfire Build

Your tank looks awesome. Starfire glass is worth the extra cost in my opinion. I just paid $600 for a 20some gallon starfire tank, but I don't regret it at all. How much was your 40 breeder including shipping? 40 breeder is a custom order? Your glass cages tank looks better built than my PicO aquariums tank. I like the idea of the bottom euro brace, but it is too late for me to figure out what that does for the tank.

It was roughly $650 for the 40g starfire on three side tank with black silicone and the matching stand including shipping.

What's that? You guys wanted to see a few new pics including a few FTS's???

Here ya go!

Who'd of thought my cellphone would be the only thing that takes legible photos of my tank without washing out?

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

Thank you very much. Yes the starfire glass does give it an extremely clear look. And the water itself stays extremely clear thanks to the BEAST of a skimmer I have.

The Eshopps S-120. Thing is near-dead-silent yet still pulls an entire cup of nasty skimmate every 2 days.
I run it kinda wet instead of dry but that's my personal preference.

I'll try and remember to shoot a video of it tomorrow to show off just how silent it is.

This isn't my video, but it shows off how silent it is and how much effluent it collects:
Note: That water gugrle sound must be from his overflow or something, because the skimmer does not produce virtually any noise.
[video=youtube;ysDIAghlqGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysDIAghlqGY[/video]

I'd compare this skimmer's noise level to that of a Vortech powerhead (not run at full speed ofcourse tho.)

Last edited:
Nice pictures, what kind of phone you using? btw... this thread keeps making me more and more jealous. haha

I'm using an HTC Inspire 4G. It's a few years old now (like 3) but has an 8MP camera that gets the job done.
I'm gonna try the Sony P&S again tonight with the blues turned down a bit and see how that goes.
And thanks for the kind words. :) I am very much satisfied with this tank.

I can't remember yours off the top off my head, but a member for 6 years leads me to believe you know a few things I dont and I'm sure its equally nice.

DSC07889.JPG

DSC07894.JPG

And the video as promised. Return pump and powerhead are off so any noise is from the skimmer, or just ambient noise.

[video=youtube;hQoAuyHpO8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQoAuyHpO8U&feature=youtu.be[/video]

EDIT: IGNORE the buzzing sound. IDK what that noise is, but I think it's my camera because that sound did not take place in person.

Last edited:
Hey Stitch awesome looking setup! I am considering a GC rimless but I want to do a custom stand where the tank sit flush as opposed to the GC stand wehre the tank is recessed. How is the seam where the fron glass meets the bottom? Would it look like crap if I did a flush table top style cabinet?

I think it'd look fine. They do eurobrace the bottom of the tank, so there would be some thick glass visible before the sandbed starts. I actually ended up with a deep sand bed because the lip of the stand hides the sand bed by a fair amount and I wanted the sand level to be above the lip. I think I have a 4-5" DSB in there with roughly 2-3" visible. I personally like the lip though but it's a matter of preference really and also it was just easiest for me to buy pre-made.

GC should actually be able to build you the stand you want for a fee as well if you're not handy with woodworking.

Stitch87, be careful with that Royal Gamma. Not to scare you or anything, but I had one in my tank for quite some time and then one day he just started becoming nasty and picking on my other fish.

Keep this thread going though man, I love your tank and watching the progression. :) btw... I did post a few recent pics of some of my coral in the Photography section. I'm going to try and grab a nice FTS sometime soon. Just want to clean up the tank a little and mount some frags before I do. :)

Are you positive yours was a Royal Gramma and not a Brazilian? They look 90% identical in every way but face markings and a few other minute differences and are very commonly sold under the name Royal Gramma.
They are known to be very aggressive where as Royal Gramma are generally docile unless bothered by tank mates of similar appearance. Mine rarely ever even leaves his cave and when he does he actually swims with my clowns like a school.
Doesn't even bother my peppermints which surprises me because I tend to own fish over the years that picked on my peppermints.

I had no idea about Brazilian Gramma either til I bought this Royal Gramma and had to double check but he is indeed a true Royal Gramma (thank god) lol.
It's a pretty interesting read if you look up the two on Google actually.

Thanks for the compliments bud! I'll go check out your tank after I post this. =]

Back