Storing CO2 cylinder in a car?

Armando

v 4.0
Tomorrow I am going to refill my two 5lbs CO2 cylinders.

I'll be running errands for a few hours afterwards. Is there any risk with keeping the tanks in the car for a long time? Tomorrow won't be as hot as today and yesterday but still could be on the 80s.

First of all, I have no idea Armando, but good luck with that. :)

Secondly, I saw pictures in a firefighting magazine years ago (when I fought fires a little and read firefighting magazines a lot) of the side of an engine where a SCBA bottle stored in a compartment had ruptured, and blown a 5 foot crater out of the truck. Made me think twice next time I strapped one to my back (picture of Wile E. Coyote flashes through mind).

I imagine CO2 bottles aren't presurized that high, but still, good to be careful. :)

I dunno.
But everytime I take the c02 out for a refill, my neighbors look at me like I'm going to blow up some building or something.

There should be a burst valve on a CO2 tank so that explosion wouldn't happen. FYI SCUBA tank explosions are WICKED rare!

Armando,

You are unlikely to have any problems. If there is any chance the tanks are leaking a bit I'd be careful about airing your car out when you first get in.

Just got home in the past hour :) Heat wasn't really a problem but the rain was crazy! I was afraid of someone hitting my car and having the thing explode (bad drivers + rain = terrible drivers :D ). i changed a bit my itinerary so the CO2 refill went close to the end of my "journey".

Back