strange mollusk like creature

SherryQ

loves pufferfish
Last night I noticed this strange mollusk like creature. It was about 1.5 inches long and oval shaped. It looked sort of like those - oh I think the name is something like strom.., but much larger than any I've ever seen. Also, on what looked like its shell, it had fleshy branchy like things growing on it - that looked like they were a part of the mollusk creature. It was a brown-tan color. Although, when I looked at him from above the tank, it looked like his tube mouth part was red. I tried to get a photo, but the camera was out of juice. I'll post again when I can get a pic. Does anyone have a link to that list of the strange things we find in our tanks identified? Thanks.

Sherry

Hey Sherry -

If you're certain the creature was over an inch... it probably was not Stomatella varia (cap snail). They typically only reach about 3/4" or so max... at least that's the largest I've seen in tanks... and are harmless grazers. What you may have in your tank is a chiton. I've heard that certain types do have 'horns' as you've described. I have a few in my tank... but no head gear on mine. They're harmless... and actually graze algae from the rocks after dark. Their shells are segmented like armadillos, and they vary in color.

More info here... plus you can do a search on 'chiton' on RC and find tons of threads.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020815020042/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/aug/wb/default.asp

bec

Thanks Bec.
The shell was not segmented, but smooth looking. I will try and get a picture of it this week. It looked like a cross between a nudibrach and a Stomatella varia.

Back