Stupid new-guy question

jeremy052274

Non-member
Hi all, so I've got a few coral frags now. This one I don't understand...this has some hair-like things coming off it - they seem to grow. I think they help capture food and bring it to the eyes of the coral...not sure though.

Can someone help me understand if these should be left as-is? Thanks! 2-28-2012 12-50-34 PM.png

ah, so it's not part of the coral? Must have been coincidence that the current made it look like it was trying to feed the coral with some stuff. Thanks very much! Tank is quite new, and there is definitely some hair algae around the tank.

I can't tell from the picture but if it comes out like a fan and goes back in that is another creature. I have a few of those.

I have the same stuff right now in my tank, i believe it is cyano bacteria. Sometimes it gets stringy like that but for the most part it stays on the sand bed. It grows on my corals too its really annoying.

Hair algae is usually green correct? I have stuff that looks just like this and it is brown stringy and slimy. This looks like what i have and not hair algae. As far as i know and from people trying to help me ID it its cyano. Do you have a better picture ?

Back